Hardware Upgrade Advice Needed

Reaction score
Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this is sort of long -- just looking for how to best go about doing some upgrades on my laptop.

Bit of background -- I produce electronic music on my laptop (Mid 2012 15" MBP, 2.6 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3). As such I have many many third party VSTs that I run within a production program, so it is very CPU intensive (probably somewhat comparable to what a gaming computer would go through).

So, I have a few issues. For one, I need a new battery (getting a service battery notice). My computer dies when I run the production program in ~an hour if I'm not charging. Even when it is charged, it sometimes goes down in the 80's%. So, does anyone have any recommendations for good batteries to go for?

Secondly, my loading and startup times are very slow. Takes anywhere from 5-30 minutes to even load up a project. I assume this is because I don't have a solid state internal drive? Would replacing my current one with a solid state one improve startup/loading times, or would there be a better option to take?

Lastly, is it even worth it to go through with these upgrades? I feel like this laptop is sort of on it's way out, and maybe it would be in my best interest to invest in a new laptop altogether?

Thanks for your time guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
While a 2012 is getting a bit old and the newer processors are much faster, you could do some upgrades and get quite a boost in speed. Changing the hard drive to an SSD will definitely speed things up - a lot! As for a new battery, I would go to OWC - macsales - for a new battery and an SSD. They have reasonable prices and back their products.

https://www.macsales.com/

If you want to compare models for a possible upgrade download the free app Mactracker. It will give you all the stats on all the current and past apple products. That will give you a look at the speeds of the various processors currently being offered.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Secondly, my loading and startup times are very slow. Takes anywhere from 5-30 minutes to even load up a project.

This is certainly not normal...and I'm guessing when you first got this computer it was not like this. What could be causing it is:

- hard drive is failing
- hard drive is too full
- hard drive needs some serious maintenance
- combination

As Lisa mentioned...and SSD will certainly speed things up. But if you require lots of internal storage...SSD's are more expensive/gig...so it depends what your budget is if you decide to install an SSD & how large it is.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.