harddrive question

M

menace3054

I have my old 40gb hd from my pc that i just sold. i wanted to stick it into my powermac to use for extra storage. when i opened it up, the connector wasnt the same? I thought the powermac took sata drives? is there an adapter that i need to install it, or is it just the wrong drive

OP
H

h0tk4rl

menace3054 said:
I have my old 40gb hd from my pc that i just sold. i wanted to stick it into my powermac to use for extra storage. when i opened it up, the connector wasnt the same? I thought the powermac took sata drives? is there an adapter that i need to install it, or is it just the wrong drive

G5 Powermacs take SATA drives. I actually just put a 2nd drive in the other day and it's a standard SATA connector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
its most likely just a regular ata(IDE) drive. Im not sure they make adapters or not, but I doubt it. you could always buy an enclosure and make it into an external hd.

OP
M

menace3054

its not worth the effort to do all that, a 40gb hd is worth a measely 30 bucks nowadays, once i start running low on space ill just buy a 300gb, thanks for your help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does the drive have a large connector in the back next to the 4-Pin Power plug with 40-Pins in two rows? If so it's an IDE drive and will not work with the G5 Powermacs. A SATA connector is a real small plug with thin cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.