Harddrive crash

Reaction score
I own a MacBook Pro 13 (non retina, mid 2012) that suffered an internal HDD crash, but even after replacing the HDD, the laptop fails to detect the startup disk. I don't understand what the problem is now. What should I do?
Replaced original HGST HDD with a Toshiba HDD. Had the Toshiba HDD verified and it's working fine. Don't think it's an HDD issue at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Do you have any other startup media - like a USB thumb drive, or any bootable drive? You need to partition then format (erase) the new drive to Mac OS Extended (journaled). Then install.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I own a MacBook Pro 13 (non retina, mid 2012) that suffered an internal HDD crash, but even after replacing the HDD, the laptop fails to detect the startup disk. I don't understand what the problem is now. What should I do?

It could be a bad SATA cable between the HDD connector and the logic board. Common failure with those cables as they heat up and break internally. Try replacing it. You can buy that cable on eBay or from powerbookmedic.com.

OP
K
Reaction score
Do you have any other startup media - like a USB thumb drive, or any bootable drive? You need to partition then format (erase) the new drive to Mac OS Extended (journaled). Then install.

Thanks for your reply.

I do have a flash drive, but how do I go about erasing or partitioning the drive when tHe laptop doesn't recognise the HDD, it doesn't show up on disk utility, but the flash drive does show up on disk utility after the internet restore process.
Could it be a logic board problem?

OP
K
Reaction score
It could be a bad SATA cable between the HDD connector and the logic board. Common failure with those cables as they heat up and break internally. Try replacing it. You can buy that cable on eBay or from powerbookmedic.com.

Thanks for your reply,
The flash drive does show up when connected but the HDD doesn't.
Could it be a logic board problem?

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

Is there any test to confirm that it is the problematic SATA cable that's causing the trouble?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The flash drive has nothing to do with the SATA cable and would not indicate one way or another if it was OK. The only way to test the SATA cable is by replacing it. It's not likely to be a logic board problem.

And I believe member "gsahli" was also suggesting using a USB drive as other startup media to make sure the machine was OK other than the hard drive crash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.