Hard drives.. spin up, spin down, spin up, spin down

Reaction score
I just added two extra HDs in my Mac Pro today. They seem to go to sleep quicker than the primary boot drive, which makes sense. But.. man, those things spin down (which is a little noisy).. then I just open up Finder and they spin up.. then spin down again maybe 15-20 mins later. Doesn't that reduce the life expectancy of a drive??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Take a look at your energy saver in system prefs. You may be able to adjust something there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
My second hd also had the same issue, I changed the engergy saver to sleep after 1 hour and it works fine now.

Picture 1.png

OP
C
Reaction score
But there is no option to specify when to put hard drives to sleep. Just an option to put them "to sleep when possible"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
If you want to put your hard drive to sleep on the moment, you go to Apple Menu, Sleep.
The way I have it set up (above post) is just so that while you are working on it, the hd will not fall asleep at least for 1 hour. You can make it never and do it manually. This prevents it from spin down, spin up, spin down while you are working.
It resolved my problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.