Hard drives formatted in 10.7.5 not readable in Yosemite.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a problem that I just can't get to the root of. I'm hoping someone here has some insight.

When I format my new hgst 4 TB internal drive in Mac OS 10.7.5 it appears to have formatted properly and files can be placed on the drive without issue.

I then plug the drive into my xcellon docking station via usb 2.0 to an iMac using Yosemite.

The error states drive is unreadable initialize, ignore, eject.

I have also attempted to read the disk with the same error message on a windows machine via the same docking station with macdrive, same issue.

Any thoughts?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Under normal circumstances drives properly formatted under 10.7.5 should show up fine in Yosemite unless the drive is developing directory structure issues are showing up. If the drive is still being read OK in 10.7.5 then I would wonder about the docking station.

1. Are you able to read other drives that are placed in the docking station?
2. If you can still boot into 10.7.5 what does Disk Utility or similar program say about the drive?
3. When you test MacDrive in conjunction with the Docking station are you able to read other Mac formatted drives you may have around?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.