Hand off/Bluetooth

Reaction score
Am I missing something...and I may be as I'm not the sharpest knife...
If all my devices need to be bluetooth connected, why bother with starting an email on one device and finishing on one that is 10 feet away?
Again, I may be missing the big picture but this seems dumb.
Fire away...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, your devices have to be using Bluetooth 4 and hand off should be setup on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac. (assuming you have an iPhone and iPad)

Suppose you started a Pages document on your iPhone or iPad while at the doctor's office waiting to be seen. You see the doctor and when you get home, you can continue finishing your Pages document on your Mac. That's what hand off can do. Sure if all your devices are sitting on your desk it would be a little silly to use hand off except maybe to see if it works. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks. Now what if I start a Pages doc on my iMac at home ( Tenn) and jump on a plane and want to finish it on that plane's wifi or wait til I land in Japan? My devices are all Yosemite or ios8... without them being within 20 feet , do I have any abilities to do so?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Enjoy that good sushi in Tokyo! But stay away from Fugu sushi, it can kill you.... ;)

Basically the answer to your question is no, but rather than me explaining the proximity requirements, take a look at this.

My personal feeling about handoff is that I will probably rarely, if ever, use it. Now, storing documents in my iCloud drive is something that I can definitely use as I travel about.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if hand off is something that is useful for your personal computing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.