Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
Thanks for your time and patience pm-r.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
C

chas_m

I can only report that going to YouTube.com and playing any random video and choosing the full screen button does, indeed, play it full screen on my machine, a mid-2012 MBP running the latest El Capitan and using Safari. I'm in a Mac group with an active 200+ member base and we haven't fielded a single complaint on this front, so this leads me to think that it is not really a bug in El Capitan and is really either user error or some specific set of conditions needed to reproduce the problem.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I am almost 100% sure that user error could be involved. LOL

I do know about the theater button you mentioned and I have tried that and that is not it, and it was doing it before and after downloading El Capitan. It's not that big of a deal, just an extra click when starting a video, just has my curiosity up thats all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
I was not saying it was a bug in El Capitan, I just noticed my Safari browser doing this on Youtube videos after the last update. I've read multiple articles online about the issue some going back about 6 years so I don't have a clue as to the why, just a work-around.

In time I'm sure it will be back as normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I am almost 100% sure that user error could be involved. LOL

I do know about the theater button you mentioned and I have tried that and that is not it, and it was doing it before and after downloading El Capitan. It's not that big of a deal, just an extra click when starting a video, just has my curiosity up thats all.

I'm getting a bit confused here…

Are you saying your youtube viewing is working in full screen mode, but you just have to make "an extra click when starting a video" — whatever that is.

I have to click the full screen icon to get full screen mode working so I guess I'm missing something, but then again I don't have a 5K iMac as if it should make any difference to get it to work. ;)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm getting a bit confused here…

Are you saying your youtube viewing is working in full screen mode, but you just have to make "an extra click when starting a video" — whatever that is.

I have to click the full screen icon to get full screen mode working so I guess I'm missing something, but then again I don't have a 5K iMac as if it should make any difference to get it to work. ;)

No, the video does not start in full screen, after hitting the full screen button then the smaller screen opens which then I click on it and then it goes to full screen. Maybe with a little guidance I could take a screen shot of what I am seeing and post it here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe that's a "feature" with the 5K iMacs and maybe there's some display option or some setting/pref you could use…???

Haven't used one but a long experienced Mac user friend seems to be having odd problems with his, something he thinks has to do with pixel-doubling or lack of as he calls it with some apps.

At least you seem to be able to view them as you wish, but with just some extra clicking it seems.
Any chance you have some browser extensions enabled messing things up????

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe that's a "feature" with the 5K iMacs and maybe there's some display option or some setting/pref you could use…???

Haven't used one but a long experienced Mac user friend seems to be having odd problems with his, something he thinks has to do with pixel-doubling or lack of as he calls it with some apps.

At least you seem to be able to view them as you wish, but with just some extra clicking it seems.
Any chance you have some browser extensions enabled messing things up????

I don't know, I checked the browser extensions like you mentioned before but none were there. Like Gary said, it seems to be happening to him also and hopefully it will clear up but I can still watch them.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just went and took a screen shot of the small screen and it is on my desktop. If someone could tell me how to get the pic to here I would be more than happy to do it.

C

chas_m

In the message composition window, you will see a selection of icons to the right of the smiley face. One of them looks like a picture (next to one that looks like a filmstrip). Choose that, and you will get a dialog box asking you to upload a photo from your computer. I'll bet you can figure it out from there. :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the picture uploaded but that is as far as I can get, there is a small red exclamation point in the box.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 5.59.05 PM.png Maybe the picture is too big?

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, let me try this....

/Users/danieljohnson/Pictures/Picasa Exports/Desktop/Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 3.54.41 PM.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK, let me try this....

/Users/danieljohnson/Pictures/Picasa Exports/Desktop/Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 3.54.41 PM.jpg

Not the way it's done. What you did was copy & paste the documents path from your computers storage.

The photo needs to be hosted at a website (like photobucket). Then the internet address of the photo needs be copy & pasted here.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I will give that a shot. I just took another pic of the screen hoping I could paste it here. I will keep trying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I will give that a shot. I just took another pic of the screen hoping I could paste it here. I will keep trying.

Try using this method, and sorry for the crudeness. The real icon to click should be at the bottom of the page:

Untitled.png

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am waiting for the picture to download in my bucket on Photoshop. It got about 3/4 done and now seems to be stuck. LOL

pm-r, I have tried that method 2-3 times, I get the pic uploaded and it seems to be stuck also, it won't do anything. I tried drag and drop with no luck.

Is there a Photobucket made just for Macs?

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I give up. Signed out of Photobucket after being told the upload failed. Went back to Photobucket and log in and there were the pics I was just told failed. I copied the URL and pasted it in the box that comes up when you click on the "picture" next to the one that looks like camera film, clicked on the OK button and get a message from Mac Forums telling me it is a invalid file!!!! I need a Gin and Tonic!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.