Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I just got off the phone with Applecare. He helped me clean out my caches but that did not do any good. He to thinks that it is on You Tubes end. The pic above is my screen with the you tube video in it. In order for it to go full screen I have to click on the video which causes it to go full screen but also pauses it. Thanks to ALL of you for your help and most of all your patience. LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The pic above is my screen with the you tube video in it.

Congrats. Looks like you figured out how to post a photo in a forum thread!:) You will find that this is a very useful skill when posting a thread or replying to a thread question/issue. Sometimes a photo/picture is "worth a thousand words"!;)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats. Looks like you figured out how to post a photo in a forum thread!:) You will find that this is a very useful skill when posting a thread or replying to a thread question/issue. Sometimes a photo/picture is "worth a thousand words"!;)

- Nick

Thanks Nick, but it's a VERY slow learning process for me! LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
C

chas_m

Now that I can see what you mean ... :)

Yeah, I suspect that's an issue on YouTube's end, since it looks like it is going to it THINKS is full-screen mode for most computers -- not reckoning on the awesomeness of the Mac -- but it could conceivably be a glitch in El Cap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina 8GB
Wornslick, you're not alone...same here.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks acdc, like Gary said YouTube has been notified, hopefully they are working on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina 8GB
@wornslick, seems the problem has been solved. Youtube is on full screen again.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just went and checked but mine is still in the "half screen mode", I will keep checking it though. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi guys, Ive got a 2015 13" macbook pro running the the latest el cap update. all was fine but now this morning I have the exact same problem! its so strange

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
it's not a fix, however once you go full screen (shows up 1/2 screen size) pause the video, then click play and it will go full screen. I'm having the same issue since the last el capitan update.

I have not been able to find a fix for this yet. Youtube has been notified of the problem. Good luck!

Yes, that works. On my 27" it started with the late El Capitan Update. It only seems to happen with 720 and 1080p HD videos also.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, it's not his machine. My 27" NON Retina just started doing it like I said above with some very HD videos on You Tube. it only happens on Safari. No where else. Just installed Firefox and the issue is not there. This started for me with the 10.11.2 update. Not Beta either. I don't use my 27" for my beta and dev updates.

Edit, just tried it on my 13" MBP and it's not there. Same Safari, Same OSX. It only seems to do it on really high resolution large screens.

And trust me, it's NOT USER error. I know what I am doing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ah pausing the video and playing again once in full screen mode works for me too :) thanks guys

C

chas_m

I didn't suggest it was either once I understood the issue (see my most recent post in this thread -- I pretty clearly said it might be an error on YouTube's end, or a glitch in El Cap.

In any event, I'm glad it has been resolved. Happy Boxing Day everyone.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't suggest it was either once I understood the issue (see my most recent post in this thread -- I pretty clearly said it might be an error on YouTube's end, or a glitch in El Cap.

In any event, I'm glad it has been resolved. Happy Boxing Day everyone.

Really I also feel it's you tube but for some reason it's only affecting Safari and since I prefer Safari to anything else, it's a minor annoyance!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got done checking out a few videos on You Tube and suddenly realized that they were in full screen! Don't ask me how though!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got done checking out a few videos on You Tube and suddenly realized that they were in full screen! Don't ask me how though!

I have a feeling it was a You Tube issue and has been resolved. Testing it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.