Graphics on my soon to come iMac

Reaction score
I have searched, browsed and read reviews on iMac's like a mad man, to get as much information as possible before I decide which iMac I should choose.

I narrowed it down to the 27-inch: 2.7GHz i5 with 1T drive and 4G RAM ...I plan on buying 16G of Kingston KTA-MB1333/4G to add on arrival (any comments on this brand ??)

This will be plenty of "Mac" for me ...BUT !!

Now I'm in doubt about the graphics on this puppy, will the AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory be good enough ??

I don't play games ..well, I do but it's games like Angry birds or other small games, I use Photoshop now and then on a amateur level.

How "bad" is this graphic compared to the 6970M with 1 GB RAM ??

I have read a lot of info on this question, but couldn't find a answer that could help me out ..I hope you guys could :)

Angry Birds? My cellphone can play that game more than fine. Im sure a $2000 computer can run it pretty good........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
if it were me, and it is my opinion, with the 3.1Ghz option you can pay an extra $100 to increase from 1Gb to 2Gb.

Using the same logic, you must be able to upgrade from 512 to 1Gb for a similar if not lesser fee.

If you can i would go for it, to be on the safe side and maybe calm your worries....if, of course, you can afford it.

J

OP
D
Reaction score
There are no option for ugrading the graphics on the 2.7 Ghz iMac. there is only AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB.

If I want the bigger AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB, I need to buy the 3.1 Ghz.
And that is pricy compared to what you get for the extra money ...and if i really don't need the extra graphics power, I'd rather spend the money on something else for my new iMac ;-)

But you are correct, I can upgrade the graphics on the 3.1 Ghz to 2 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
There are no option for ugrading the graphics on the 2.7 Ghz iMac. there is only AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB.

If I want the bigger AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB, I need to buy the 3.1 Ghz.
And that is pricy compared to what you get for the extra money ...and if i really don't need the extra graphics power, I'd rather spend the money on something else for my new iMac ;-)

But you are correct, I can upgrade the graphics on the 3.1 Ghz to 2 GB.

Ah, I see. now worries then, good luck in any way you choose to go. As the more technical have commented, you seem to be on safe ground.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.