• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

GPS has turned motorists brain dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And then they make the MC test hard for inexperienced riders

How different it all is world wide.

Our MC licence is MultiCombination ie : B-double truck or Road Train. Up to 53.5 meters on the road.
Funny thing is scares me no end to go for a Motorcycle licence .. :)

I never did a civilian road test. Got my army licence for Landrover and Unimog then went into the local RTA and they gave me my full licence there and then ...... Easiest thing i had to do .......

OP
Greysquirrel34
Reaction score
I got my first DL in 1950, the test consisted on 100 questions, eye test and depth of field vision and a reaction time test. Driving consisted of common driving route, K turn, parallel parking, parking on a hill going up and going down.
When I moved to NJ the test consisted of 7 questions and a drive around the test track at the DL station, not even on the road. Moved to NY they just gave me a license because I had a NJ license same when I moved back to NJ.. Moved to NC just had to take a written test and eye test no road test. While I was waiting there was an elderly gent being taken out for a driving test, this man could hardly walk, just shuffled out the door, was gone maybe 10 minutes came back and got a license. My only concern is what is his reaction time in an emergency he couldn't hardly walk so how was he going to lift his foot and put in on the brake peddle in an emergency?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Get this one guys - from the Would You Believe It files. In S Korea it is now fully legal to watch tv while driving. You can see it for yourself at BBC - Newsbeat (the clip starts at 2.02).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Is it true that you don't have to do 3-point turns in the US test
3 point turns and parallel parking.. but backing up around a corner is illegal, so not on the test.

Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving to the US from Canada. I'm from Ontario, where we have graduated licensing. We get our G1 (essentially a learner's permit, must have an experienced driver in the car), then our G2 (basically a full license, but with certain restrictions such as a 0.0 limit for alcohol) then our G (a full license). I have my G2 and was concerned that I would have to drive a test upon arriving in the US, so my fiancé contacted the DMV to find out if I would (it isn't that I wouldn't pass the test, it's that I hate driving them and I've already had multiple tests because my G2 lapsed, so I had to test for my G1 again, and then my G2 and it was all a mess). We were told that ANY Ontario license can be straight exchanged for a full Texas license. Including a G1. Which means that someone could have their G1, never have driven a car, then move to Texas and have a full Texas license. I was APPALLED!

As for the whole GPS thing? My fiancé and I are getting one for when I move. It's a 1400 mile trip one way and he'll be driving it on his own to come get me. That's a LONG way and to keep looking at a map proper during that would be very distracting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
State to state, learners permits (the equiv of a G1) aren't honored... my guess is that the Tx DMV has NO CLUE what a G1 license is, because it says license.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Reaction score
The test I took to get my full license from a permit in New Mexico (I got my permit when I was 17, took Drivers Ed when I was 16, mainly because I went to two different schools, education, not driving, between when I turned 16, and when I took Drivers Ed, and then turned 18 about 5 months after my permit expired. The DMV here said that I didn't have to go to the prov, and instead I took a drivers test (though all of this took all day), which was basically, backing up, doing the speed limit, turning corners smoothly, and returning to the same parking spot, no matter if it was parallel or a pull in, within the lines, and out of traffic. I did pretty well on that one. But the DMV here requires so freakin' much, my Dad and I spent the better half of a Wednesday from 9am to 3pm going back and forth between home, the military base in my town (for an ID of some sort that wasn't expired), and the DMV there just so I could get my picture taken, get the temp sticker and then wait for 4 weeks for the actual card. Oh boy, the fun and perils at the New Mexico DMV offices. I'll add that it took the DMV 3 weeks to call me back about WHERE I could get a drivers test. I wonder..are other states like this? Irritating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.