Google Chrome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
If you want to use Google as a search engine (and you should, because it is by far the best one), you can use it with all of the tracking and other evil stuff stripped out, by using this search engine instead:

StartPage
https://www.ixquick.com/

This search engine takes your query, strips out all identifying information, and then submits it to Google!

Hi Randy,

I downloaded and installed ixquick and made it my default browser, but when I look at Lightbeam, it still shows plenty of tracking. Should I have uninstalled google as well ?

Reaction score
Hi Randy,

I downloaded and installed ixquick and made it my default browser, but when I look at Lightbeam, it still shows plenty of tracking. Should I have uninstalled google as well ?

ixQuick isn't a "browser" it is a "search engine."

If you are saying that you set ixQuick to be your default search engine in Google's Chrome, then, yes, there will still be a lot of tracking and other evil stuff going on because you are using Chrome. If you want to eliminate all that, set ixQuick to be your default search engine in some other browser, one that doesn't track you, such as Epic.

Epic (free)
https://www.epicbrowser.com/

The really good news is that Epic was updated just this past week. It was seriously broken in Sierra, but thanks to the update it seems to be working perfectly now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
My search engine is google but not chrome. I thought that ixquick hid my details from google, but still used their search engine. Surely if I go to Epic, it defeats the purpose of ixquick. Or maybe I've misunderstood as usual.

Reaction score
My search engine is google but not chrome.

Chrome is a browser, like Safari, or Firefox. Google is a search engine, like Bing; and so is ixQuick

I thought that ixquick hid my details from google, but still used their search engine.

That is correct.

Surely if I go to Epic, it defeats the purpose of ixquick. Or maybe I've misunderstood as usual.

No, it doesn't defeat the purpose of using ixQuick. It isn't just your search engine that is spying on you. Just about every site that you visit tracks you too. Epic is a browser that stops that from happening also. So if you want the ultimate in security while surfing the Web, using ixQuick as your search engine, and Epic as your browser, and that will get you there.

Here are some Web pages that will help you understand things:

http://donttrack.us/

https://www.epicbrowser.com/our-key-features.html

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
A few questions for Randy B. Singer regarding his suggestions from post #18:

1) Refresh Flash: the link to website to uninstall Flash does not work for me. I get an error message that the URL cannot be found on the server? Under Applications there is a one called "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager" which says it uninstalls Flash. Can I use that instead of the suggested site?

2) Delete QuickTime Plugin preferences: I couldn't follow the directions to get to the User Library and Preferences, found it by: Finder..>..Go..>..Computer..>..MacIntosh Hard Drive..>..Library..>..Preferences. Under Preferences there is no file called "com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preference.plist". I also tried searching for this file using the search icon in the top right corner of the screeen. The file is not to be found. However, when browsing through the Library under Internet Plugins > Disabled.. it says "QuickTime Plugin.plugin" is disabled? Should this be??

3) Delete Flash cookies: The first time I went to System Preferences..>..Flash..>.. Storage..>..Local Storage Settings by Site, there was nothing there, just a blank box? I did enable: Block All Sites From Storing Information On This Computer. It was not previously enabled. Sometimes when I check back, this setting has been changed for some reason.

Thanks
Dan

Reaction score
A few questions for Randy B. Singer regarding his suggestions from post #18:

1) Refresh Flash: the link to website to uninstall Flash does not work for me. I get an error message that the URL cannot be found on the server? Under Applications there is a one called "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager" which says it uninstalls Flash. Can I use that instead of the suggested site?

Try this link to get to the proper uninstaller:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

2) Delete QuickTime Plugin preferences: I couldn't follow the directions to get to the User Library and Preferences, found it by: Finder..>..Go..>..Computer..>..MacIntosh Hard Drive..>..Library..>..Preferences.

You found the System Library, my instructions were to get you to the hidden (invisible) user Library, and they were correct. Don't forget to hold down the Option key while clicking on the Go menu in the Finder.

However, if you go to the user Library and you don't find the Quicktime file that I indicated, it simply means that it was never created. In that case, there is no way (and no need) to rebuild it, as it does not exist. You can check back in the future to see if it exists, especially if you notice Safari slowing down.

3) Delete Flash cookies: The first time I went to System Preferences..>..Flash..>.. Storage..>..Local Storage Settings by Site, there was nothing there, just a blank box?

That would mean that you haven't picked up any Flash cookies. If I don't disallow Flash from storing cookies, I pick up a handful of them in just one day of browsing. And they just keep on accumulating. See:
https://www.wired.com/2009/08/you-deleted-your-cookies-think-again/

I did enable: Block All Sites From Storing Information On This Computer. It was not previously enabled. Sometimes when I check back, this setting has been changed for some reason.

That's disturbing. That likely means something is disabling that setting. Possibly something that isn't benign.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
OK Randy, just completed all of your suggestions as above. I had missed the part about holding down the Option key when clicking GO in the finder. The appropriate file was there and I deleted it. Safari is now running much faster. Thank you for your patience.
I checked the Flash settings and Block All Sites From Storing Information On This Computer was already enabled. So I will keep an eye on that. Do you think I should download the most recent Malwarebytes and run that to check?
I do like Safari as a browser. I usually delete my browsing history and also delete the cookies and stored data in Safari preferences every day or so, however, some of them seem to return fairly quickly, even to sites I don't visit?
Dan

M

MacInWin

Get Ghostery and block everything that tracks you. That should help a lot to cut down on the stored stuff.

Reaction score
Do you think I should download the most recent Malwarebytes and run that to check?

I'm just about certain that Malwarebytes doesn't check for anything other than adware. So if you are using it to check if you have Flash chookies, or even Flash-based malware, it won't help.

However, Malwarebytes is excellent for dealing with adware. And it's free. So it's definitely worth having and worth running occasionally.

I do like Safari as a browser. I usually delete my browsing history and also delete the cookies and stored data in Safari preferences every day or so, however, some of them seem to return fairly quickly, even to sites I don't visit?

Normal cookies only arrive on your computer in one of two ways. Either they show up because a Web site placed them there, or because they were "re-spawned" by a Flash cookie.

However, before anyone gets all upset about cookies, normal cookies (as opposed to Flash cookies), are just about always benign, and often make Web surfing more convenient.

The myth of the dangerous cookie
http://www.thesafemac.com/the-myth-of-the-dangerous-cookie/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Randy, a great help. One more question and then I'll quit butting in to the thread. I have all my bookmarks in Firefox but can't find how to import them into Epic. I've got them from Safari, but can't see a way to get from Firefox. Can you help with this please.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@hoody:

Epic will automatically import bookmarks from Chrome if Chrome is present on your machine. I also believe Epic will import bookmarks from Safari but am not sure of that. Perhaps Randy will have some better ideas of how to do it.

Reaction score
Thanks Randy, a great help. One more question and then I'll quit butting in to the thread. I have all my bookmarks in Firefox but can't find how to import them into Epic. I've got them from Safari, but can't see a way to get from Firefox. Can you help with this please.

No problem.

In Epic....

Epic menu --> Import Bookmarks and Settings --> choose From: Mozilla Firefox --> Import button

Reaction score
I should note that Epic was updated just this past week. The update made a huge difference in how well Epic runs in Sierra. So if you are having any problems with Epic, the update might help.

https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
For a long time, I had Chrome as my default browser. After a few episodes of having site passwords refused, then going over to Safari and having them accepted, I gave up on Chrome. Likewise, one site wanted me to update my Java script - fine - but a message said that the Chrome browser won't install the Java. For me, Safari leaps along as well as Chrome. Updated iMac 27" vintage 2014 and both browsers updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem.

In Epic....

Epic menu --> Import Bookmarks and Settings --> choose From: Mozilla Firefox --> Import button

Thanks, but I do that and I get the message in a split second that it's done, but the bookmarks aren't there. Another thing is that I get email notifications that someone has posted on this thread, but when I click on the link, it simply takes me to the Epic home page, whereas it used to bring me straight here before installing Epic and ixquick. I can't find any way to fix this.

I should have said before that on the iMac I'm on Sierra, but I'm doing this on the Macbook which is Mavericks, 10.9.5

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I run Google chrome with Ghostery and Ublock origin. I also have DuckDuckGo as my default search engine. You can add it in Settings -> manage search engines -> scroll down to the bottom of the second window and there is a place to add other search engines.

Now as for tracking, having read all the posts, it does give me something to think about. I had thought about Epic just for variety. I just like the ability to open Chrome on any of my computers and have my bookmarks all the same.

Lisa

Yes I have done same as Lisa with Chrome but I no longer use it as a default browser. As a simple browser which does pretty much everything "out of the box" Opera is pretty good especially with Ghostery added and it's included Ad Blocker (although I have Whitelisted this site).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I downloaded and tried Opera for a bit. And as before, I wound up removing it. I really see no improvement in it at all. Just my opinion..... I use Epic as my privacy browser and Chrome for speed.

Reaction score
thanks everyone for all the additional replies and advice. After reading the last post by Randy B. Singer, I definitely will not be using Chrome as my browser.

Something that I should have pointed out earlier.... Google's Chrome browser is based on open source software (called Chromium) that anyone can download and use to create their own browser. And a bunch of companies have!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)

So, if you like the Chrome browser, but don't like what Google does with regard to your security, you can get a very similar browser that doesn't come from Google! (It may even be faster than Google's Chrome, because it's not running all the background advertising and spying garbage that Chrome is!)

All of the following Mac browsers are FREE (or there is a fully functioning free version) and are based on Chromium, without all of the tracking/spying stuff that Google includes in Chrome:

Brave
https://www.brave.com/

Opera
http://www.opera.com/

Chromium
http://www.chromium.org/Home

Yandex
https://browser.yandex.com/desktop/main/

SlimJet (currently in beta)
https://www.slimjet.com/

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
And if you would like to try something quite different try Vivaldi. It's worth saying I think that no one should feel limited to the "big three" it is an easy process to try as many browsers as you like until you find one that suits your needs or preferences.
Simply keep a full record of all of your bookmarks, passwords etc in Safari (or Chrome if you like) and use that to import into new browsers. Make the transition slowly until your new browser does everything the way you like it and if it falls short trash it and try another.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only objection I have to trying all these other browsers is that if you do any kind of on line banking, you might find yourself not being able to access your bank's web site or your account unless you use an approved browser. (not your approval, theirs)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.