Google Chrome - popups and unrequested pages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
Recently I have started seeing things while on the Web that I don't recall before which are both irritating and concerning.

In particular now when I click on links I sometimes get two pages opened in separate tabs. One is what the link should lead to, and the other is some sort of ad or other content at an apparently unrelated URL. although there may be some relivance to the site I am going to.. Usually if I go back and try thelink again it does not happen. I am sure it happens when clicking a link in a Mac Mail message. I am not entirely sure if it happens when the link is on a Chrome page.

Has anyone seen anything like that?

Bob

Edit:

AGG! I posted the above just now then clicked the Edit button and I got both this page I am editing on AND ANOTHER tab with this URL:

" "

(I don't know how to get this site to display the URL rather than just a link. Hover over it to see what it says.)

Current Google Chrome on Monterey 12.7.4
-------------------
NOW Two more edit cycles and it did not happen again as I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
1. Don't click on links on websites. Ever. Even if it's someplace you trust, just don't do it unless it has a login process that yuo have had to complete to get there. Two reasons: 1) The site you "trust" could have been spoofed and the page you see isn't from them, and 2) The link may or may not go to where it claims (mostly NOT). Sites with logins are generally a bit safer to click on links, but I still double check before I do so on a new site. If you see a link you think might be good to visit, hover over it to see if it will tell you where it it trying to take you. If you recognize it, then type it in manually in your browser. If you don't recognize it, or cannot see where it is really going, don't go there.

2. Get something to block ads on your browser. I use AdBlock+ myself. Works well for me.

3. Chrome reports everywhere you go and everything you do to the mothership of Google. It's like having Google looking over your shoulder with an unblinking eye. For that reason, I don't use Chrome at all. Safari is better, Brave is more so.

4. Based on the fact that you got hit while on this site you may have a bit of malware loaded into Chrome from some place you have been to on Chrome. I would get the Intego Virusbarrier Scanner (free) and do a scan to be sure, then see if there is anything that has been "added" to Chrome. Or, better yet, get rid of Chrome completely.

OH, and by the way, I'm never going to click the link you posted. See rule #1.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
I did not expect anyone to click on it of course. My intent was to post the actual text of the link like you see when you hover. Unfortunately I could not convince this platform to let mr do that.

I am well aware of how the links work (I have done web development since 93). The one thing I think typing the URL yourself helps with are links that use a character that looks the same as normal, but is actually different.

I will look into the Intego Virusbarrier Scanner. I had not heard of it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything like that?

Yes. You don't have a virus or anything. And the problem isn't that you need to be afraid of clicking on links or going to Web sites. You are seeing pop-up ads. They are common on the Web, and thankfully easy to avoid.

I have a simple solution, but you may not like it. Ditch Chrome. It has the worst security of any browser. It is full of Google's spyware.

However, I have a really good altertive for you. One that's free. The Brave browser is based on the same codebase as Chrome, but it has all of Google's spyware stripped out, and a bunch of nice security added. Brave is FAST, highly secure, highly compatible with odd Web sites, it can block pop-ups and annoying notifications, and it natively blocks ads. It’s wonderful!

Brave browser (free)
https://brave.com

Here are some settings to make sure are enabled once you have installed Brave:

Brave menu —> Preferences —> Privacy and Security —> Site & Shield Settings —> Notifications —> set Don’t Allow Sites To Send Notifications

Go back to Site & Shield Settings —> Popups and Redirects —> set Don't allow sites to send pop-ups or use redirects

Of course, it will take a few days to get used to Brave, as it's not precisely like Chrome. But once you do you will find that surfing the Web with it is a much more pleasant experience!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's undeniably sad that the internet has become a hostile environment, the things we used to do are no longer safe and we have had to change to accomodate that fact. When I think about how I have had to change my practices to stay one step ahead of bad actors attempting to steal my ID or scam me into giving away my hard earned funds it's, well, sad. Online security articles are not a topic that interests me at a personal level but I read them regularly because I feel I need to.

I don't want to use 2FA/2SA, I don't want to use a a password manager or PassKeys, I don't want to use a "safe" browser that protects me from trackers, advertising, popups or fingerprinting, I don't want to use email alias' or Hide My Email or SpamSieve, I don't want to use a good VPN, it takes time and effort but I do.

I agree wholeheartedly with Randy's post above, one of the first things I did was "de-google" and that was about 5 years ago. I shopped around for a while using a number of other web browsers, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi along with AdBlock, AdGuard and Ghostery ect. but eventually settled on Brave browser. In my opinion for a chromium based browser with the familiarity that affords it is the best, most secure browser out of the box.
Worth noting that you do not have to opt for Brave's BAT rewards system, it is entirely optional;

Wikipedia on Brave, desktop and mobile
Developer(s) Brave Software, Inc.[1]
Initial release 12 Oct 2016 v1.0.3 (Android)
14 Dec 2018 v1.7 (iOS)

"Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software, Inc. based on the Chromium web browser. Brave is a privacy-focused browser, which automatically blocks most advertisements and website trackers in its default settings. Users can turn on optional ads that reward them for their attention in the form of Basic Attention Tokens (BAT), which can be used as a cryptocurrency or to make payments to registered websites and content creators.[3][4]"

I'm an old dog now at 72 but I have had to learn "new tricks" to keep myself and my family safe online as well as making the internet as much of a pleasurable experience as possible, one that works as I want and need it to. To a large degree I have succeeded but I'm always aware that I cannot afford to merely "sit on my laurels" when it comes to online security. I wouldn't say I'm paranoid but to use another quote, I remain "alert, not alarmed".:ROFLMAO:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.