Gmail keeps asking me to verify my account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
As it says above. When I open the Mail app on my Mac (latest Sierra), one of my gmail accounts (I have two) seems to have an issue, and I am asked to re-type my password for that account. My other Gmail account doesn't do it (or I don't remember). It does this about every two or three days, and it's been maybe two weeks now. Why? And what to do about it?

Apropos of nothing, this is the same account I complained about some weeks ago that has an incredible amount of spam sent to it. Is someone trying to log in with that account who is not me, and that's why it's asking? Just mindless speculation; I don't know how anything works.

Thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does this about every two or three days, and it's been maybe two weeks now. Why? And what to do about it?

Try logging on to the Google mail site directly and access your finicky account from there. Then while you're there, change your password to a strong one that includes numbers, letters, and characters. See if that helps.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Try logging on to the Google mail site directly and access your finicky account from there. Then while you're there, change your password to a strong one that includes numbers, letters, and characters. See if that helps.

Oh, I have such. Even some capitals and some not. Still, maybe it IS time to change my passwords...

You think it might be based on the accessed "strength" of the password that google is doing it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
No, strength doesn't matter as far as setting one. It will warn you. What type of accounts are your two? There are personal Gmail accounts as well as a whole slew of G Suite (formerly Google Apps) types with various charges and rules. Also, are any of your accounts set with 2-Step Verification? I have 7 accounts of various types and they behave slightly differently. I have 2-Step Verification enabled everywhere (including non-Google) that allows it. For G Suites the Super Admin can "force" 2-Step Verification on. Did that happen to you? I might be grasping at straws here.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, strength doesn't matter as far as setting one. It will warn you. What type of accounts are your two? There are personal Gmail accounts as well as a whole slew of G Suite (formerly Google Apps) types with various charges and rules. Also, are any of your accounts set with 2-Step Verification? I have 7 accounts of various types and they behave slightly differently. I have 2-Step Verification enabled everywhere (including non-Google) that allows it. For G Suites the Super Admin can "force" 2-Step Verification on. Did that happen to you? I might be grasping at straws here.

They're both personal Gmail accounts (as far as I can tell).

To report, it happened again; I signed onto my Mac at home, and when I opened the Mail app, it asked for the Gmail password for that same account again. Gah!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
They're both personal Gmail accounts (as far as I can tell).
If they're both have [email protected] then it they are personal accounts.

it asked for the Gmail password for that same account again
I must have missed it, but when you supply the password, does it work? Also, it was asked and you replied, but does work when you go directly through a browser? Have you checked the one that works, and note as much setting information that you can, then remove/delete the offending account then recreate it. You won't lose anything doing that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may have somehow gotten more than one entry in your keychain for the account. Open Keychain Access and delete the one(s) for the account. The next time you're asked for the password, it may stick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.