Getting used to eMac

R

RonaldCS

This is a very pleasurable process and the change from my PC is going quite well. Two little problems:

1. The spell checker is doing its job, but I cannot find any way to teach it new words.

2. Is there any way of editing the bookmarks and getting rid of those which have outlived their usefulness?

(I apologise if I should have posted two separate questions, but they seem very minor ones)

Ronald

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you do Ctrl + Click on the misspelled word you can tell it to learn the word

If you go to Bookmarks - Show All Bookmarks you can edit all of the bookmarks.

No need to worry about multiple questions in one topic it actually makes it easier then having multiple threads

OP
R

RonaldCS

Many thanks. I know everything I need is there, and it will become easier as I find my way round more.

The one thing I've found it hard to get used to is the absence of a right click.

OP
R

RonaldCS

I'm not having any luck with Bookmarks, and I suspect it may have something to do with the way I transferred them from my PC.

When I Open All Bookmarks, at the bottom of the Collections is a file labelled "Favourites". If I click on that it brings up "favourites.html" in the next column. Click on that and all my imported bookmarks appear but fill the whole page from side to side. They work as bookmarks correctly but I can't edit them ('Delete' under 'Edit' is greyed out)

The only thing I could think of was to drag and drop the html file to Favourites, but that didn't do anything.

All further suggestions gratefully received!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
RonaldCS said:
The one thing I've found it hard to get used to is the absence of a right click.

I've never used my mac without right-click. I have a normal two button mouse and use it like a normal mouse on Mac. The right click feature is so convenient.

OP
R

RonaldCS

I just have the Mac mouse which came with the machine, and it's all so new I don't want to experiment yet.

I would still like to know how to edit Bookmarks (see above). When I installed it I dragged the file to Library for want of any other ideas, and now suspect this may have been a mistake. I still have the original file on a CD. I don't know how to uninstall the present file though I suspect that dragging and dropping in Trash is probably the answer. If this is so, how should I reinstall the CD file?

OP
M

m1k

This is a very pleasurable process and the change from my PC is going quite well. Two little problems:

1. The spell checker is doing its job, but I cannot find any way to teach it new words.

2. Is there any way of editing the bookmarks and getting rid of those which have outlived their usefulness?

(I apologise if I should have posted two separate questions, but they seem very minor ones)

Ronald

Hey Ronald,

I assume by question 1 you are referring to Word. You just right-click a word that's spelled wrong and click 'add to dictionary'.

By question 2, are you talking about Safari? If so, and if you want to get rid of the ones on your bookmark column below your URL address, just drag them off the column and onto anywhere else on the screen.

Hope this helps, Ronald.

OP
R

RonaldCS

m1k said:
Hey Ronald,

I assume by question 1 you are referring to Word. You just right-click a word that's spelled wrong and click 'add to dictionary'.

By question 2, are you talking about Safari? If so, and if you want to get rid of the ones on your bookmark column below your URL address, just drag them off the column and onto anywhere else on the screen.

Hope this helps, Ronald.

Thanks for this. The spelling problem has been sorted thanks to earlier advice, but I'm still in trouble with favourites. At the risk of being boring I'll start again fropm the beginning.

When I started to set up this computer I successfully imported my address book from my PC. I tried to import the favourites folder but that didn't work so someone advised me to try with just the file. I did that (via burning it on a CD) and having reached this machine dragged it to Library, where there is now a file "Favourites.html" in the documents folder. Clicking on this will open all my old favourites.

At the same time there is now an entry in Safari under Collections labelled "Favourites" and clicking on that brings up "Favourites.html" under Bookmarks. Clicking on that also brings up all the old bookmarks,

All the links work, but the open file fills the whole of the screen so that there is no way I can get at it to modify it. If I try to drag an item it merely operates the link! I suspect that my original error was dragging the file to Library instead of Safari, but before I start again I'd like to be reassured that this is the answer!

Apologies again for being so long-winded.

OP
M

Matt

About the the right click: All you do is plug it in, the machine will recognise it and you won't have to lift a finger. Apple kept that in mind and I think Apple will start using right click mouses as standard soon.

OP
B

Blade Runner

Or you can go buy a two button mouse, not really that expensive, but most of them are ugly.

OP
M

m1k

^Wrong you are. MacMice makes some amazing stuff. www.macmice.com . Their mice look exactly like Apple mice, but they have a right-click and a scroll wheel. And they come in aluminum and wireless versions :)

Check it out. I'm planning on getting The Mouse BT Aluminum :)

OP
R

RonaldCS

Thanks for the suggestions. I've also been told that if you press CTRL when using the mouse you have the equivalent of a right click. It works for me.

The latest mice sound like a good idea for Christmas. I'll bear it in mind if/when I'm asked.

OP
M

m1k

Yeah, that's what I use now, it works for most apps. But it's **** when playing video games :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
the mice are cool. i WANT TO GET one

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.