Get OS X Yosemite free

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" late 2009 (10,1) El Cap; MBP early 2011 (8,1) Mavericks
How do I get rid of the subject notification that's constantly in the upper right corner of my screen without turning off Notifications altogether? It's incredibly annoying.

I suppose I could go ahead and download Yosemite, and then consign the installer to the trash ...

For what it's worth, when I click on the notice, which takes me to the App Store, I see that the Customer Rating show almost twice as many 1 stars (I hate it) as 5 stars (it's great), and slightly more 1 stars that 5,4,3 and 2 stars (don't like it) combined. I hope Apple is paying attention to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download and leave the Installer in the Applications Folder. Yosemite is fast and rock steady and have used it since Public Beta Testing back in July with no problems. If you decide to go with Yosemite. suggest backing everything up to an external drive, making a USB thumb drive (8GB) bootable with Yosemite on it using LionDiskMaker X, boot from it holding down 'C' on a restart immediately after the chime, formatting the drive in Utilities and doing a clean install.

OP
Yodrak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry - thanks for the suggestions and quick response, even though you confirmed my fear that Apple is going to hound me mercilessly until I download Yosemite. Oh well!

Reaction score
Is that as annoying as the "Try the new Safari" notification?
I think I ran it once just to shut it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well guys it is marketing marketing marketing that returns the bucks!

OP
Yodrak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't get that one - probably because I haven't fallen for the free Yosemite yet so I couldn't run the new Safari anyway?

Is that as annoying as the "Try the new Safari" notification?
I think I ran it once just to shut it up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can show you many 1 star reviews for some of the finest restaurants in my area and 5 star reviews for ones that are horrible! Same with Computers, OS's and everything else.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I agree Dennis. Anybody take a look at some of the "reviews" on Amazon. Sometimes the review will be one way in terms of number of stars but the information contained in the review is completely contradictory.

I don't often pay attention to the App store review due to the incredible lack of information in so many of them.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Yodrak

I'm not at home so don't have access to my own Mac right now, but I recall that your question was answered a few weeks ago. Maybe worth doing a search of this forum.

From what I vaguely remember, don't quote me, what you can do is click on the Apple store icon, then updates. From the menu bar choose "Store" > "View My Account". You will be asked for your Apple ID. When your account is shown, you can select "Reset your purchase options" (or words very similar), and if I'm right you can remove Yosemite from the upgrades list.

What I'm saying is that there is a solution which avoids the need to download Yosemite. Sorry to be vague. Given my circumstances, it's the best I can do at the moment.

Ian

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.