General "sound issue",'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Desktop, 10.11.3 El Capitan
I have AN IMAC, with 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5I and I must periodically go into "System Preferences" "Sound" and un-check "Mute" in Output for no reason. I NEVER use "Zoom", I always use headphones and Mic and that option is always checked.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I don't mean to insult you here but are you sure you are not accidentally hitting the Mute key on the keyboard? I'm not sure what relevance Zoom has but I know I have to turn my volume up to Max for most meetings. Are you referring to the Mute option in Zoom? That should have no effect on the system sound.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@samfromhernando I don't have a solution yet. I'm probably missing something simple.

@Rod Check your volume settings within the Zoom app. I just checked my preference setting and noticed something interesting. If Zoom's preferences are set to "Same As System," it doesn't always work reliably, or at least not the way I expect it to.

With Zoom set to "Same as System," I would expect any volume changes made to system volume to be reflected within Zoom. I did a little test a minute ago with Zoom's preferences open and set to Same as System to see what happened. If I made a change from the Mac sound pane, sometimes Zoom's sound output reflected the system change immediately, and at other times, it never reflected the change. That setting can be changed to a specific output, independent of the system settings. That might help at the expense of changing the setting in Zoom if you want Zoom to use a different output.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You might want to check that you don't have a browser option enabled:
How to Mute Tabs in Chrome Playing Audio / Video

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
@Slydude, that's a good hint. I have changed to "Same as System" and I'll try it out today. Not that is was a big issue I just had to remember to turn the System vol down after a meeting. What I was getting at was that being muted by the Host should not effect the System sound levels.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's true.

I read the OP's post a little differently. I read it to mean that this issue is occurring outside of Zoom. In other words, it would be more broad-based. My comments about Zoom were more directed toward your issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.