Garageband recommendation...manual and synth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 80GB, 1GB, Superdrive
I am a Garageband novice -I have a basic understanding on how to build tracks using the interface but would really like a comprehensive, easy to understand manual/instruction book for Garageband. I have Garageband version 3.0.4.

I am also thinking of getting a keyboard/synth to muck about with - I saw one called a Novation Xiosynth 25 - looks like fun. Any thoughts on this? I don't want to spend a fortune so i am thinking of a budget of £200 maximum.

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
I have the same one as cjay- I also like it. It's about $100 US (75 Euros maybe?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
I've got an M-Audio 61es, which I really like. I use it for pretty much every track that I record in some fashion or another. I have NO idea what they cost, as mine was a gift, but I'm sure that they are reasonable.

As far as a manual goes, I purchased "Garageband - The Missing Manual" or something like that, and it is a great reference tool.

OP
thoras_herd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 80GB, 1GB, Superdrive
thanks - i had heard that the Missing Manual series was really good - i'll check it out.

Sorry if this sounds daft or a bit illeterate, complete beginner here, does the M-Audio synth have different sound effects or is it astraightforward keyboard with one sound - the Novation has onboard sounds/patches.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
The M-Audio boards do have different sounds. However, if you're going to be using garageband, then the you can use the built-in software instruments. There are a bunch in there already, and you can purchase Jam Packs which will give you more loops and instruments. I simply plug in the M-Audio, select the virtual instrument that I want, and away I go.

Reaction score
thanks - i had heard that the Missing Manual series was really good - i'll check it out.

Sorry if this sounds daft or a bit illeterate, complete beginner here, does the M-Audio synth have different sound effects or is it astraightforward keyboard with one sound - the Novation has onboard sounds/patches.

Cheers!

Most Midi controllers don't have any sounds. The software you use wil determine different sounds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.