G5 sounds like Darth Vader breathing, not starting

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok, removed and reseated video card, put old hard drive back in, reset PMU. Still not boot up, only the fan oscillating like before. I'm afraid it is the power supply.

I'm sorry to hear that it is still not working. That's why we needed to configure your G5 back to the condition it was in when it last worked properly...so we could eliminate anything new you did....like the new hard drive.

By the way...if your power supply is the problem or is dead...you might smell a faint or strong "burnt electrical" odor. Don't ask me to describe this...if you don't know, it's pretty hard to describe.

Also, if your power supply is bad...more than likely your Mac wouldn't do some things or anything...no noises, no lights, no hard drive spinning, no monitor, and no fans sounding like Darth Vader!.

Bad Computer Power Supply Symptoms | eHow.com

WikiAnswers - What are four symptoms that might indicate a faulty power supply for laptop

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Nick,

took my computer to the Genius Bar at the Apple store in the Burlington Mall. Its the power supply :(

I'm probably just going to buy a new computer, and fill my G5 with cement and use it for a boat anchor. Thanks again for your time and assistance. I appreciate it.

PS. I'll probably keep it, and fix it with used parts down the road, but right now, I need functionality and reliability. I'm thinking a Mac mini, I don't use any expansion stuff so that is not an issue. Any suggestions? And no, I'm really not a notebook/laptop kind of person, just to let people know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick,

took my computer to the Genius Bar at the Apple store in the Burlington Mall. Its the power supply :(

I'm probably just going to buy a new computer, and fill my G5 with cement and use it for a boat anchor. Thanks again for your time and assistance. I appreciate it.

PS. I'll probably keep it, and fix it with used parts down the road, but right now, I need functionality and reliability. I'm thinking a Mac mini, I don't use any expansion stuff so that is not an issue. Any suggestions? And no, I'm really not a notebook/laptop kind of person, just to let people know.

Thanks for the update!:) Sometimes these computer problems can be hard to "nail" down without having to go to the "professionals"! But at least you have an official verdict on what the problem is if you should decide to fix it. This way you won't spend a bunch of money on the wrong parts.

I guess on the bad side...a power supply for a G5 probably isn't cheap....but maybe you will come across a "broken" G5 with a good power supply for cheap!:)

If you already have a keyboard, monitor, and mouse...a mac-mini would be an inexpensive way to move forward. Maybe keep your eye out for a used Intel Mac-mini.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Nick. Look for an Intel Mini. That way you can run all the latest software and the Intel Mini is a lot faster than the Power PC Mini. I have both here maxed out and the difference is amazing. Also you could run Snow Leopard.

I would keep that G5 like you said and fix it down the line. Find a working power supply from a good seller on Ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB
I'm not positive but I heard that new imacs/mac minis/polycarbonate macbooks were coming out soon... keep an eye on them! That or buy a deliciously cheap refurbished machine.

Reaction score
I'm not positive but I heard that new imacs/mac minis/polycarbonate macbooks were coming out soon... keep an eye on them! That or buy a deliciously cheap refurbished machine.

I hope Apple releases those soon!:D

OP
B
Reaction score

might those be the new generation imac/minis somebody told me about on another forum? apparently they aren't shipping anymore imacs/minis to the apple stores. wonder when the new stuff is coming out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.