G5 Seagate isnt showing up on the Desktop anymore

Reaction score
im not sure if its my computer or my external hard drive. ive had this seagate for about a year now its a 500gb and yesterday i noticed the icon isnt there anymore. i look in disk unity and i see it along with the drive of my computer. how do i get the icon back on my desktop??
picture1zlb.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looks like it is a Firewire connection. Have you tried unplugging the external from the machine, reboot the iMac and then reconnecting the Firewire? Is the external mains powered? Have you disconnected it without dragging to Trash at any time?

Also try Repair Permissions of iMac HDD and then same on external.

Keep us posted.

OP
C
Reaction score
i tried disconnecting it and rebooting, didnt work, but i noticed when i unplug the external from the comp the external shuts off? is it supposed to even thou its plugged into the wall?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Disk Utility is saying a USB and not a Firewire connection.

No, unplugging the USB cable should not cause the drive to shut off if it's powered externally from an AC Adapter. Something is wrong. The drive should turn on without a USB cable plugged in. Sounds like maybe the Power Supply died and the computer is giving it power and probably not enough.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just to be sure I am reading your post correctly, if the drive is not plugged into the computer, it will NOT power on even with the power supply plugged in?

If that is the case and you have a 5 year warranty for sure get a hold of Seagate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.