G5 2.5 vs. G5 2.0

T

Tusk

I have been pricing out G5's, and assuming I am getting the ATI 9600xt on both machines, the G5 2.5 is $385 more than the 2.0 at the Apple store. Is it worth $385 to get the G5 2.5? I can afford the upgrade, but do you guys think it's worth it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
well, it really depends on what you will be doing with the machine. A dual 2 can do everything a 2.5 can do, just the 2.5 can do it slightly faster....And by slightly, I truly mean, not much.

Here are some benchmarks that show the differences, although since it is from Apple, expect it to be slightly dramatized! ;)

OP
N

Nightblade

ApplejustWorks said:
well, it really depends on what you will be doing with the machine. A dual 2 can do everything a 2.5 can do, just the 2.5 can do it slightly faster....And by slightly, I truly mean, not much.

Here are some benchmarks that show the differences, although since it is from Apple, expect it to be slightly dramatized! ;)

Umm, I think you forgot the link(s).

OP
R

richiestang78

why not spend the extra few hundre on the top model, then agin you could get apple care with what you save. Persoanlly I would look at what in 6 months you will still be happy with

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I agree on spending the extra money.

My big dilemma is whether I should keep my Powerbook and get a 3 GHz tower next year, or sell the Powerbook and use the money (along with some extra) to get a dual 2.5 GHz right now.

I really can't decide. I love having a laptop but I'd really love the power and whatnot of the G5. Plus a lot of what I do with my computer involves leaving it on 24/7 for downloads, processing, etc.

Ugh!

OP
T

Tusk

Thanks for all the feedback. I took the plunge today and ordered the G5 2.5 GHz with the new 20" cinema display. I ordered from MacMall instead of the Apple store and they are including an extra 1 GB of RAM for the machine for the price of installation (all 2 minutes of it). Anyway, after I get over the shock of the total cost of the system, I'm sure I will love it. Thanks again.

Osiris22x,

I really want a powerbook as well as a G5. However, I'm going to wait for awhile and let my bank account recover. I figure that the G5 2.5 will be a top three G5 machine for the next year or two. Hopefully, the G5 Powerbooks will come out next year and I can add one of those.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.