G4 with photoshop, need help....

H

HUbe01

I'm going to be ordering a new G4 in the next week or so...! I really do believe that this is a much better bet over a PC laptop. I'm hoping that you could help me spec out my new G4.

What I will be doing with it is this.
1) Mostly photoshop work.
2) Down loading several hundred images at a time and showing them to clients. I really like the slide show program!
3) pudating my web page and that sort of thing!

How much SDRAM should I start with?
17" or 15" ( I've heard that the 15" have had some problems....)

If any of you are photographers, graphic people I would love to know what you think!

THanks all!

Jay/Connecticut

PS.... where is the best place to buy one???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

i use photoshop quite a bit. not professionally or anything, but i use it. im not sure which powerbook is better, but i know the 17" is really big. its thin and cool looking, but a little awkward for traveling. the 15" is what i would buy if i was getting one, but thats just a preference issue. im sure youll be happy with your selection either way.

as for buying one, i used MacWarehouse casue they shipped it with extra RAM for free (it was a promotional deal). you can search around, or buy from apple. usually apple computers dont vary in price too much from place to place, so the only advantage you might find from buying online is you save on paying sales tax.

i would suggest maxing out your RAM. its gotten really cheap at We Love Macs and its definitely worth it.

OP
K

keylime

HUbe01 said:
How much SDRAM should I start with?
17" or 15" ( I've heard that the 15" have had some problems....)

If any of you are photographers, graphic people I would love to know what you think!

Been usine PS since the LLci, when you could prepare a pot of coffee and drink a few cups as the progress bar made its way. Now, with the G4 desktop and 2-monitors, I find the 12" PB very limiting in terms of size and RAM potential (maxed out at 640MB) If you're going p-book, I would recommend 15" or better, and max out the RAM, especially if you're dealing with large files.

enjoy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.