Fuji or Canon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a new camera this month as I am travelling around Europe (I'm from Scotland). I want something small and easy to use as I will already be carrying alot of weight in my backpack! The Canon A640 and the Fujifilm E900 have both caught my eye and seem to be the kind of camera that would suit my needs. Has anyone got any input into which one is "better"? I know this is a little subjective but it might help me make up my mind :) I have considered getting a DSLR such as a Nikon D40 or Canon E350 because of the high ISO performance; but would this be overkill for day to day use on holiday? Any opinions/experience would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Fuji's Super CCD sensors are currently the least noisy sensors in compact cameras. The F30 has great performance right down to 800 or 1600.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page6.asp

I'd recommend Canon for DSLR, but not for compact. Canon use Sony sensors in their compact and Fuji make their own sensors.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've had terrific experience will Canon's point and shoot models - I've now owned 3 of them. The A640 in particular is a nice camera, my father-in-law just bought one.

I can't really comment on the Fuji cameras as I don't have much experience with them, but I would recommend a Canon to anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
But then again, I'd recommend a Fuji to anyone!

I've had a 2mp A204 and now I use a 6mp F10. The F10 is superb for low lighting as it can go up to 1600ASA without needing to use the flash.

OP
Craig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I may go with the Fuji. I have looked at the F31 and it seems to be exactly what I'm after. The CCD in the Fujis seems to be well thought of. I like the fact that Fuji are not trying to tear ahead in the megapixel wars and are producing compact cameras that can perform in low light with reasonale resolutions. Think it's time to go shopping! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i reccoemnd both - just try different ones out from both companies before you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Fuji sensors in their DSLR's are pretty nice, I know nothing of the P&S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I bought a used Fuji F700 and it works great.

OP
Craig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Fuji sensors in their DSLR's are pretty nice, I know nothing of the P&S.

I belive Fuji are using something like 1/1.7" sensors in their new P&S which is fairly impressive. Does anyone know if these cameras, that charge the battery internally, can be used abroad in a country with a different mains voltage? I wouldn't want to plug my camera in abroad and fry it :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.