FTP issues?

Reaction score
I know that mac's have trouble with FTP...or something along those lines. but i just dont get how i can connect to my ftp server on a pc really easily, but wont connect on my mac.

I've used cyberduck, transmit and a bunch of other apps, and when i try to connect, it says that i have logged in successfully and that its Listing Directory. but then i get a "network error: connection failed" "operation timed out" - sometimes the error tells me to use passive mode, but it still wont fully connect.

i am trying this through a wireless network. linksys router. I have forwarded ports 20 and 21. and its still not working.

Any Ideas?

thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I know that mac's have trouble with FTP...or something along those lines. but i just dont get how i can connect to my ftp server on a pc really easily, but wont connect on my mac.

I've used cyberduck, transmit and a bunch of other apps, and when i try to connect, it says that i have logged in successfully and that its Listing Directory. but then i get a "network error: connection failed" "operation timed out" - sometimes the error tells me to use passive mode, but it still wont fully connect.

i am trying this through a wireless network. linksys router. I have forwarded ports 20 and 21. and its still not working.

Any Ideas?

thanks guys.
I've never had any problems with ftp and my Mac. Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Let's take it a little slower. More information would be useful.

Which machine is the ftp server? What ftp daemon are you running? What are your firewall settings? Are there settings for the ftp daemon that permit/deny access by account type?

Which machine is the ftp client? While it looked as if it was the Mac, given you're running Cyberduck, I'll allow the possibility the client is the PC. What are your firewall settings?

Is the "client" trying to run annonymous ftp, or is it to an account?

Hope these questions (and your answers) will be helpful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I know that mac's have trouble with FTP...or something along those lines.
There is no kind of trouble with FTP and Macs, or anything along those lines. Whoever told you that or led you to believe such a thing is sadly mistaken.

And yes, mathogre is right. We will nee a little more information.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try either turning OFF or ON Passive Transfers. There are NO issues with OSX and FTP. None at all.

Reaction score
yah, one more vote for "no problems". I am using Captain FTP and it works great...

Reaction score
Can you ping the ftp server? (In utilities, open Terminal. Type in: ping -c 4 ftp.yourftpserver.com)

Can you access the ftp using Safari or Firefox? ftp://username:p[email protected]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.