Frustration Level...

OP
P
Reaction score
A little weird, but it works..

Now it shows the phone in Finder, AND it pops up an 'image capture' screen showing my photos. Clicking it in finder reveals the file structure as expected, no annoying "no device" message.

Looks like it was the HTC software (still installed) that got it working, so thanks Vansmith :)

Mm, it still only shows music and pics if you open that HTC Sync thing but hey, don't need it as I can use the Finder thingy.

Still won't reveal .epub files though, meaning the entire exercise was a bit of a wash really..It shows the ones with .pdf files but folders with epub files it say "0 items"

If I download Calibre or similar will it then recognize such files? Can try I suppose...

OP
P
Reaction score
"Went for "Kitabu", and NOW my little Mac suddenly admits it's stuffed full of epub files :eek:)

Nope, no it doesn... Only if I'm actually looking via the ebook reader.

*scratches head*

Change me way of thinking...

Files don't exist, unless looking via software that can see them.

Via software... that ca..

I'm not sure if that's absolute genius - or completely retarded?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Now you ask why do I need to install an application like Android Transfer Files that Vansmith pointed to? Well, the file transfer that you've been talking about with respect to Windows works because Android implemented it using Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) a technology developed by Microsoft for Windows. So at first glance it suddenly seems like Windows is just better at talking to Android devices..but is that really the case when the Android device implements a protocol only Windows knows? Well the Android Transfer Files application implements MTP on OS X..
Hmm, and here I was thinking it was a filesystem issue all along. Thanks for clearing that up!

Now on the flip side, Apple isn't immune to this. Take the iDevices (Phone, iPad, iPod Touch) for example..they also use the USB interface to talk to the computer. As long as you can running iTunes on Windows or OS X, you can communicate with the iDevices..what about Linux? No way, no how..you cannot sync anything with the iDevices on Linux. Well you might say that's because iTunes doesn't exist for Linux and yes that it true. But it isn't JUST that.
Quite a few Linux applications work with the iPod (source). ;)

Now to be fair, I have no idea if that covers iOS devices.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Quite a few Linux applications work with the iPod (source). ;)

Now to be fair, I have no idea if that covers iOS devices.

I believe Linux works with the older iPods because they didn't use a custom protocol..so the HDD based iPods works fine..whenever the iPods switched over to using iOS, that feature stopped..

There was a lot of heartache over at UbuntuForums about this transition and initially a lot of talk of people trying to reverse engineer the protocol. But it's not just the fact that the iDevices are talking a custom protocol..they are using a custom endpoint/profile. Most USB devices have a single profile for (even composite devices that have multiple funtions)..and usually it's profile 0 (going a bit from memory here)..

iDevices end up using a custom profile 7 or something else..so the USB stack just stops do any negotiations but allows for communication on standard endpoints that the iTunes library uses to facilitate communication with the custom profile..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I believe Linux works with the older iPods because they didn't use a custom protocol..so the HDD based iPods works fine..whenever the iPods switched over to using iOS, that feature stopped..

There was a lot of heartache over at UbuntuForums about this transition and initially a lot of talk of people trying to reverse engineer the protocol. But it's not just the fact that the iDevices are talking a custom protocol..they are using a custom endpoint/profile. Most USB devices have a single profile for (even composite devices that have multiple funtions)..and usually it's profile 0 (going a bit from memory here)..

iDevices end up using a custom profile 7 or something else..so the USB stack just stops do any negotiations but allows for communication on standard endpoints that the iTunes library uses to facilitate communication with the custom profile..
I'll have to defer to you on this one since most of that went over my head, haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Took me awhile to realize the top of the screen was context-sensitive, as Windows has all the various menus directly on each open window or screen.
Yeah, one of the things that annoys the heck outa me when using Windows at work.

I just click the save icon in Word and it saves a backup copy to Google Drive with a numbered file name. So if I'm writing something called 'Draft.doc', on Google Drive I end up with:

Draft1
Draft2
Draft3
Draft4

etc.

That's an interesting feature that I don't have a solution for.

As for your "auto backup save" feature in Windows Word ... OS X has that too, it's called Versions. MS hasn't chosen to implement that on their Mac version as of yet.

This. You beat me to it, but I'd already selected the other posts as quotes. But I didn't know the last part. So what you're saying is that it's Microsoft's fault.

M

MacInWin

Not MS, but the developer of the add-on that gave Word that capability. If you follow the OP's link, he pointed to the website where he got the add-on for Word and it only shows and discusses Windows implementation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.