Frozen mouse on new iMac

Reaction score
I bought the new iMac 24 last month. I haven’t used it very much to date. When I switched on this morning the cursor is frozen in the top left-hand corner. I’ve tried switching off and on again but to no avail. I can switch the mouse on and off, and the keyboard - which is working - but how can I unfreeze the mouse?
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you say "switching it off and on", do you mean a full power cycle? I would unplug the power from the iMac, wait half a minute and then plug the cable back in and restart and see what happens.

If the keyboard is working, you should login and see if the mouse moves around.

If that doesn't work, then you can try Safe mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you charged the mouse yet?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Have been away so unplugged the iMac. Just got back, switched on and cursor still frozen. I hadn’t charged the mouse but green light was still showing . Have had it on charge anyway for a couple of hours but how do you tell when full charge reached ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you're referring to the Apple Magic Mouse that came with your new iMac, it should charge up to where it can be used in an hour or so.

I suggest giving Apple a call and explain what is happening. Your iMac is still under warranty along with the Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard. Also, if you happen to have another mouse (wired or wireless) try using that to see if the cursor moves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.