From Yosemite to Lion.

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I installed Yosemite last Night and was very unhappy with it. So i decided to go back to Lion, wich the Mac was installed with, when i bought it.

So i tried installing Lion, through the Internet Recovery.

After downloading it, it says the mac has to restart, to proceed the installation, but everytime it restarts, it gets stuck in the loading screen and the thing is, that the Apple logo starts to disappear,
bz6nwevtmrx1.jpg

and that is it. It just does nothing after that.

I cant even go back to Yosemite, when booting up the Mac, i get that same loding screen.

Can anyone help me?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not 100% sure you can do this OS downgrade via internet recovery. From what I've experienced...Apple's OS install process is geared to move forward...not backward. Since you currently have Yosemite installed the Lion installer I think is "confused" when it "sees" a newer OS version (it expects to see an older version)...thus it doesn't proceed.

Is there anything of the HD that needs to be saved/backed up? If yes...back it up. If no...then here is what I would do:

- boot into the Recovery Partition (command + r)
- click on Disk Utility...then erase & reformat the hard drive
- now try to install Lion

Hopefully now when the Lion installer checks the drive...it will find no OS...and proceed with the Lion install.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure you can do this OS downgrade via internet recovery. From what I've experienced...Apple's OS install process is geared to move forward...not backward. Since you currently have Yosemite installed the Lion installer I thnk is "confused" when it "sees" a newer OS version...thus it doesn't proceed.

Is there anything of the HD that needs to be saved/backed up? If yes...back it up. If no...then here is what I would do:

- boot into the Recovery Partition (command + r)
- click on Disk Utility...then erase & reformat the hard drive
- now try to install Lion

Hopefully now when the Lion installer checks the drive...it will find no OS...and proceed with the Lion install.:)

- Nick

Well i have done this before with Mavericks and that worked perfectly fine.

I cant go into Recovery Mode, i get the same thing with the loading screen. But i reformated the HD in the Internet Recovery mode. But still getting the same result.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i have done this before with Mavericks and that worked perfectly fine.

Well...it sounds like you're the expert then!;) Maybe you should stop upgrading your OS (Mavericks and/or Yosemite)...and then downgrading back to Lion (and just stick with Lion)!:)lol

I cant go into Recovery Mode, i get the same thing with the loading screen. But i reformated the HD in the Internet Recovery mode. But still getting the same result.

In your first post you said that "I cant even go back to Yosemite...". In your 2nd post you said "i reformated the HD in the Internet Recovery mode..."

So the first thing we need to get straight is...the reason why you "can't get back to Yosemite" is...you reformatted the HD. So there is no Yosemite to go back to. Technically it's gone.

Let's get back to square one. Are you absolutely 100% postitive that if you reboot the computer...and try to boot into the Recovery Partition (command + r)...that you cannot get into the recovery partition?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Well...it sounds like you're the expert then!;) Maybe you should stop upgrading your OS (Mavericks and/or Yosemite)...and then downgrading back to Lion (and just stick with Lion)!:)lol

In your first post you said that "I cant even go back to Yosemite...". In your 2nd post you said "i reformated the HD in the Internet Recovery mode..."

So the first thing we need to get straight is...the reason why you "can't get back to Yosemite" is...you reformatted the HD. So there is no Yosemite to go back to. Technically it's gone.

Let's get back to square one. Are you absolutely 100% postitive that if you reboot the computer...and try to boot into the Recovery Partition (command + r)...that you cannot get into the recovery partition?

- Nick

Hey Nick, thanks for helping me!

Yes i am sure, i just checked again, still the same.

The only thing i can try now, is deleting the complete Hard drive, I guess...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes i am sure, i just checked again, still the same.

The only thing i can try now, is deleting the complete Hard drive, I guess...

Seems strange that you are not able to boot into the recovery partition with command + r.

Give this Apple article a read on OS X Recovery...maybe there's something there that we missed:

OS X: About OS X Recovery

One other thing you can do. If you live close enough to an Apple Store...several members have had success mentioning that they visited their local Apple Store...and Apple will do the install for you. You just need to provide proof that you've purchased Lion previously. I think that you can do this with your Apple ID.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Seems strange that you are not able to boot into the recovery partition with command + r.

Give this Apple article a read on OS X Recovery...maybe there's something there that we missed:

OS X: About OS X Recovery

One other thing you can do. If you live close enough to an Apple Store...several members have had success mentioning that they visited their local Apple Store...and Apple will do the install for you. You just need to provide proof that you've purchased Lion previously. I think that you can do this with your Apple ID.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Welk it is installing now. I had to delete the whole Hard Drive, not just the Partition.

Well that was a Short Trip to Yosemite for me :)

Thanks for the Help Nick!

C

chas_m

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what *specifically* made you "unhappy" with Yosemite?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And did you by chance do a clean install of Yosemite?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.