• Mac-Forums.com will not in any way, shape, or form be held liable for anything that happens in this forum. It is up to you to make a sound decision on whether to buy or sell to someone here. This forum is only provided as a convenience for our memebers.

Use of this forum is at your own risk.

For further information on protecting yourself in online transactions, please visit the usa.gov-online-safety website.

A few things to keep in mind:

• This forum is use at your own risk
    • The moderators and staff of this forum will have nothing to do with private transactions. Use common sense!
    • Flaming and personal attacks are prohibited and you could be banned without warning for participating in such things.
    • This forum will only be visible by members
    • The most basic rule is USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!
    • Our forum rules prohibit the discussion of Hackintoshes, this includes the sale of such machines. Any thread advertising a Hackintosh for sale will be deleted and punitive actions may be taken.

Note: Only users with enough posts, an adequate period of time as a member here, and in good reputation standing are able to post in this forum.

Found on Yahoo Auctions, cheap g3 iMacs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
looks like theres dulls to replace them :(

they should of got G5's :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Seems like a nice deal to me, and if I didn't already have another classic Mac on the way, I might spring for one. I paid just about the same amount on eBay for my new Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One, which has similar specs (but a bit more expandability). Good deals can be found on the auction sites as long as you're careful and know what to look for. Can't wait 'til mine arrives next week. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I just bought one of these eMacs from the Yahoo auction. I paid $60 + $65 for shipping/insuring and it will be here this Thursday. Will be good to use as a playtoy to sit next to my shiny new 17" iMac.

rberry88

OP
J

jerodhusvar

rberry88 said:
I just bought one of these eMacs from the Yahoo auction. I paid $60 + $65 for shipping/insuring and it will be here this Thursday. Will be good to use as a playtoy to sit next to my shiny new 17" iMac.

rberry88

I hope you just made a typo and know you bought an iMac and not an eMac. :)

Glad someone found the link useful!

jjh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
LOL, yep I know I bought an iMac but when I was typing my message I was on my new iMac (that doesn't look like the old ones) and thought of eMac (because of the design) when I was typing.

Anywhoo, for the price I couldn't pass it up and they even e-mailed to tell me they were giving me the DOA guarantee so at least it should work for something.

rberry88

OP
J

jerodhusvar

rberry88 said:
Anywhoo, for the price I couldn't pass it up and they even e-mailed to tell me they were giving me the DOA guarantee so at least it should work for something.

rberry88

Yeah, the price isn't bad, at all. And the machine has a LOT of potential. You can load it up with memory once you upgrade the firmware on the machine. It'll run OS X, if slowly. But you can also buy a 600mhz Sonnet Harmoni upgrade for it for about $350 that gives you more beef and also firewire. :)

jjh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, newbie question if you don't mind.

Could you point me to instructions on how to upgrade the firmware and what I might need. The machine will be here tomorrow (Thurs.) and I'll have some free time this weekend to play with it.

rberry88

OP
J

jerodhusvar

rberry88 said:
Okay, newbie question if you don't mind.

Could you point me to instructions on how to upgrade the firmware and what I might need. The machine will be here tomorrow (Thurs.) and I'll have some free time this weekend to play with it.

rberry88

No worries about newbie questions, mate, we weren't all born with experiance (or spelling ability!)

I would start here: http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml it should give you all of the information you ever want or need about your Rev. A. iMac, or as link to someplace that has it. :)

jjh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, thanks for the info. I bought the VRAM upgrade from Ebay for $8.00 + $4.00 shipping and it should be here Friday, gotta love "Buy it Now".

Looks to be a fun project for the weekend.

rberry88

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, ran into a little problem. I got the old iMac (233mhz), its got OS9.2 installed and it boots up and seems to run fine. The problem is there are some applications that are locked and I don't have a password (I contacted the seller but she said I would have to wait a couple weeks until the person with the passwords come back to get them). I don't have 9.2 install discs because my new iMac that I bought 2 weeks ago only came with the normal OSX recover/re-install CD's.

Is there a way to reformat the hard drive without removing or messing up the OS (9.2) on this old iMac so I can start fresh or am I going to have to buy OS 9.2 somewhere and then reformat?

rberry88

OP
J

jerodhusvar

rberry88 said:
Okay, ran into a little problem. I got the old iMac (233mhz), its got OS9.2 installed and it boots up and seems to run fine. The problem is there are some applications that are locked and I don't have a password (I contacted the seller but she said I would have to wait a couple weeks until the person with the passwords come back to get them). I don't have 9.2 install discs because my new iMac that I bought 2 weeks ago only came with the normal OSX recover/re-install CD's.

Is there a way to reformat the hard drive without removing or messing up the OS (9.2) on this old iMac so I can start fresh or am I going to have to buy OS 9.2 somewhere and then reformat?

rberry88

Sorry, been out of the office for a few days, did you find a work-around for this, yet? You should be able to install OS X without wiping the drive. You just do an "upgrade." (and yes, I know, I have, in the past, said never to upgrade, but if you want to keep OS9 and have OS X, this is the path you take. :)

jjh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Taken care of?? Yes. The proper way?? Not sure.

I e-mailed Broderbund Software (makers of FoolProof software which was what was locking the stuff) and they sent me directions on how to disable and un-install their software without the password. Fine so far but the process required an OS Install CD to completely disable/remove the FoolProof software so I used the Install/Restore CD that I got with my new iMac 2 weeks ago and it went fine. I wasn't able to install OS X onto the hard drive but I was able keep the OS 9.2 on there but now without the FoolProof software locking everything.

I think I just confused myself but its all taken care of and I upraded the VRAM with an additional 4MB, a new stick of 256MB RAM and a new 80GB Hard drive. It purrs superbly, especially for a 233MHz machine.

rberry88

OP
J

jerodhusvar

Seems like a reasonable soloution to me. Are you planning on loading OS X on it? If you are, go over to www.fastermacs.com and check their inventory. They did have Panther media for $79.00, and the older revisions for even less. They had 10.1.5 for $6!

Glad this little project is working out so well for you! I keep thinking I am going to upgrade mine, but right now it is primarily being used by my 2 year old, so I can't really justify upgrading it to 600mhz. :)

jjh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.