Formatting a SD Card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Is there a way to format a SanDisk mini SD card thru one of the USB ports?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You will a need SD card reader (one that supports the mini format or the standard format where you'll need to use an adapter) and once plugged in, the SD card will be visible in Disk Utility for you to format how you see fit.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Thanks Ashwin

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What Mac are you using? I beliieve some of the iMac models have a card reader built in. If so it is in the back (See here for example)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:
OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What Mac are you using? I beliieve some of the iMac models have a card reader built in. If so it is in the back (See here for example)

I have a minimac.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check the back of the Mac Mini. The current models have SD card slots and I think the older models did as well. If yours has a card slot it will be just above the headphone jack on the machine.

I find that too be an inconvenient place for a card slot -- especially if you will be inserting the card regularly. You might want to try something like this instead. If necessary you can add a usb extension cable and place the reader anywhere you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The card is used for a security camera.

Then I would seriously suggest that that camera should be used to format the card in the format it needs in order to use it, unless the manual states otherwise.

There IS a manual that you've read I would assume!!!

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good thinikng Patrick. I was thinking in terms of reading the contents on a Mac and didn't really think about formatting. Some cameras (security nd otherwise) are a bit picky about what's used to format the card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good thinikng Patrick. I was thinking in terms of reading the contents on a Mac and didn't really think about formatting.

As happens much too often in these forums Sly, the original posted question is often lacking even basic details in order to answer their posted question properly.

I used to have a general forum policy that if the poster can't be bothered with supplying just some basic info, then I shouldn't be bothered with replying. Seems fair to me.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The original post asked about formatting but I had a brain fart and skipped that entirely and focussed on reading the card.

As happens much too often in these forums Sly, the original posted question is often lacking even basic details in order to answer their posted question properly.

I used to have a general forum policy that if the poster can't be bothered with supplying just some basic info, then I shouldn't be bothered with replying. Seems fair to me.

- Patrick
======
The problem there is that sometinmes it's difficult to know what information is needed. Especially if you spend most of your time using Macs rather than learing about troubleshooting them. These folks know what they need to know to get specific tasks done and they're OK with that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

The problem with that thinking is not everyone is as savvy as you and I are about their Mac. Many folks inquire of our forums because they want an answer to their problem and assume what info or lack of they have given us will suffice.

Sometimes it does get a bit frustrating when we have to inquire of the OP several times in order to have enough information to try to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem with that thinking is not everyone is as savvy as you and I are about their Mac. Many folks inquire of our forums because they want an answer to their problem and assume what info or lack of they have given us will suffice.

Sometimes it does get a bit frustrating when we have to inquire of the OP several times in order to have enough information to try to help.

I was really targeting the posts that just state something like "my mac won't work properly" and virtually no other information supplied.
In such cases, my replying policy often comes into effect. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Patrick
======

Sorry I can't anticipate what info you might need...never been able to read minds. I can respond to specifics if one only asks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@Backlighting, it wasn't your fault. It's a general problem here that someone comes along and asks a specific question, to which there is a specific answer. However, what the questioner really wanted to achieve was something unmentioned, and there may have been a better way to accomplish it than the way the questioner asked. But if we ask "Why? What are you trying to do?" we sometimes get blowback in the form of "What does it matter, just answer the **** question!" So it's a delicate little dance we do, trying to figure out how to be the most helpful.

So keep coming back, ask questions, but be patient if we ask more before we give a suggestion to you. And maybe be a bit leery of the first suggestion because the suggester doesn't know everything in your situation.

On your original question, I will second the suggestion to format it in the camera. Or use it just as you bought it, as the default format may well be what the camera is seeking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Backlighting
Mt apologies if you felt my comments were only aimed at you Backlighting.

As Jake says, it's a general problem.

- Patrick
======

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Backlighting
Mt apologies if you felt my comments were only aimed at you Backlighting.

As Jake says, it's a general problem.

- Patrick
======

OK no harm done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.