• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Format with Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
Does anyone know if tiger is going to be installed over panther or a format/install is the only way to use it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I'm not 100% sure, no one is, but it will most likely have an option to either erase and install or upgrade install which will leave all your stuff alone, and only change settings that differ between panther and tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
How was it with the Panther/Jaguar switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You could just upgrade or do an erase and install

S

Steel02001

Those of you who switched when panther came out, do you think the switch over went easy? What was involved if anything? Anything else I am missing that might pertain to this.

I know this is a windows comparison but I remember going from Me to XP was terrible.

G

gdestiny

Steel02001 said:
Those of you who switched when panther came out, do you think the switch over went easy? What was involved if anything? Anything else I am missing that might pertain to this.

I know this is a windows comparison but I remember going from Me to XP was terrible.

slightly OT, but going from windows ME -> XP is day and night. i think the upgrade from panther to tiger should be a lot smoother.

Reaction score
What about the other programs we use like Office X will it work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
most, if not all apps should still work, unless their site specifically says its not tiger compatible.

R

Redbull

So basically, as long as you ''upgrade'' Tiger, your applications, iLife etc... will remain from Panther?. 11 days to go.....

S

StarDrifter

Will it be better to upgrade or format/reinstall or will it be no different?

I've always format/reinstall when I upgraded Windows as it's a known fact that there is stuff left over that will slow down the system - always better to do a clean install

H

HST_Gonzo

Most apps I've looked at say 10.3 Compaible and up.

Chances are better than average they'll work with Tiger as well, I ordered my copy through my edu discount, can't wait!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.