Forgot Admin Password

Reaction score
Ok here is the deal, I forgot my administrator password, I had the install disk, I read somewhere in the forums that I could boot off the install disk holding C down and going to utilities to change my password. I did that, but once by computer restarted it would not go to my desktop it would ask me to log in. And apparently my new password was not working, and was unable to boot of the install disk again. I went to another mac forum where I found the following code wich would work by pressing command s:

/sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
/sbin/mount -uaw [Enter]
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone [Enter]
reboot [Enter]

This code was suppose to allow me to change the admin password without booting from the install disk, unfortunately the only thing it did was bring me to a new user registration thing that would block itself out after the name,address and the questions about “where and what” the computer will be used for. I am really frustrated. I need some help please! I at least want to be able to boot it of the install disk again. Holding C, or Shift, or alt+command+p+r is not working. Please help! It wont ask me for my password anymore no matter what I do it keeps taking me to the new user registration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I really don't see how running fsck or removing a touch file will cause you to be able to reset a password. Really poor advice technically.

Now, when you rebooted off the DVD did you try logging in? The automatic login, I believe, is tied to your password.

Aside from that lets talk recovery. Boot into single user mode again, try

touch /var/db/.applesetupdone

then read through this page
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080414140636495

Reaction score
Question:
I have a macbook pro the screen is cracked and it is hooked up to a samsung tv screen which acts as its screen. It runs the same way it ran before when it the screen wasn't cracked.
I forgot my administrator password and can't retrieve it.

I tried the installation disk method that didn't work.
I tried the rebooting the computer and pressing certain keys on the keyboard but nothing popped up on my samsung screen until I let go of the keys and it just went straight to my desktop.

I have a feeling nothing popped up because I am using a samsung screen and my original screen is cracked perhaps?

Anyways I really would like to find my password so I can update programs ect because currently I can not do any of those things which is frustrating.
So if anyone has any other suggested methods or advice that would be great thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.