For guitarists out there....

Reaction score
What program or method do you use when trying to play a song in itunes while you are playing?

What I mean exactly is this.

When I want to play along and learn a song. I am finding it REALLY hard to play the first 10 seconds, then stopping the track, rewinding, etc.

It would be nice if I was able to repeat a certain section of the track over and over, and also being able to slow the speed of the playback so I can keep up while learning something new.

Anyone know of any programs that can do that?

Any advise on easier methods of doing this?

Thanks
DTT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I use a program called Transcribe! which you can basically highlight a section of a song and it'll just repeat that section. You can also slow it down and speed it up without altering the pitch. The trick is to highlight a section so when it repeats, it keeps in rhythm and you can just play it over and over =P

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
I use guitar pro 5 - download tabs for it off hte internet. You can set it to repeat, count you in, slow down the track etc. Doesnt sound quite as good as a proper backing track though.

Guitar Pro:
http://www.guitar-pro.com/

Tabs:
http://www.911tabs.com

Backing tracks:
http://www.guitarbt.com/

I have guitar pro also, but what I am looking for is more to hear the sections of a track over and over again, to learn, not to play along with it directly. At least for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
you can select the guitar track, then click and drag on the screen to select the music you want, and guitar pro will play that back on loop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Could you not just import the track into garageband and then make it so it loops the section you want (easily do-able in Garageband)

Its free that way, and no dodgy Midi sounds from Guitarpro (Even with the "Realistic sound engine in guitarpro i hate it lol)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Just realised, I know my post doesnt explain how to slow it down, but it definitly helps the loop part of your question :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I don't have much to add to the thread, but wanted to say this was something I hadn't really thought about. I'll be getting my first Macbook next week, and it didn't occur to me to use it like you guys are talking about. I can't wait to sit down with it and my guitar now that you've put the idea in my head. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACbookPRO
Maybe you macrockers can help me. I use GP5 extensively! On my new MacBookPro (for when I'm on the road) I can't hear my guitar through the headset. GP5 is running normally. Any help would be appreciated.
V/R....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.