• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

For All Those Looking to Purchase a PS3

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
The 40GB model will play PS1 games, so it can't be said that it has "no backward compatibility".

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 40GB model will play PS1 games, so it can't be said that it has "no backward compatibility".

All models are backwards compatible. The 20GB and 60GB versions have the emotion engine, the PS2 chip built-in, so backwards compatibility is hardware based. The 40GB and 80GB versions do not have the chip and use an emulator to play PS1 and PS2 games. Because the 20GB and 60GB PS3's use the emotion engine, they have a higher success rate for playing older Playstation games.
Who said the 40GB version had no backwards compatibility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The chart that mynameis linked to. However the 40GB version does not even feature emulated PS2 compatibility, only PS1. It is very odd. It even lets you make PS2 memory cards for some reason. Maybe they plan to offer the emulator for download from the store at some point.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had a $500 walmart gift certificate from work that had finally begun burning a hole in my pocket after carrying it around for a month. So decided to go get the PS3 yesterday primarily for it's Blu Ray player. Don't own, nor have I ever owned any PS game, so the backwards compatibility wasn't that big a thing to me. But the ability to play games is a nice, basically free add-on for a B-R player.

Got the 80GB model, Uncharted, the new Pirates of the Carribean, and the package with all 4 Die Hard movies. So, after spending an hour re-working all the cabling (had upgraded the TV and added the PS3, the HD-A35 and a router to the mix) spent the evening watching the first three Die Hard movies. Now you know where I was during IRC last nite (sorry, but new toys rule :D ). Must say, PQ is outstanding. And the sound, it is "blow me away" good.

There is also some reasoning behind the change from hardware to software emulation for PS2 games. Apparently they were having some issues with the motion sensing technology working in conjunction with the hardware support for the force feedback of the PS2.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is also some reasoning behind the change from hardware to software emulation for PS2 games. Apparently they were having some issues with the motion sensing technology working in conjunction with the hardware support for the force feedback of the PS2.

It also dropped the cost of the build. The dropped the price of the PS3 by $100 when the got rid of the PS2 chip. $400 is a much better price point for a PS3 and as a Blu-Ray player.
I have connected my Logitech Force Feedback Pro steering wheel to my PS3 and the feedback system works perfectly. It doesn't have motion sensing though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im stickin with my lovely 360

I'm sticking with my lovely Xbox 360, lovely Wii, lovely PS3, lovely Xbox, lovely PS2, lovely Gamecube, lovely Dreamcast, lovely Saturn, lovely PS1, ugly N64, lovely NeoGeo, lovely Genesis, lovely SNES, lovely TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM, lovely Sega Master System and lovely NES. Gotta have 'em all!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
still waiting for gt5 to pick up a ps3.

and the extra cash.

i guess i'll hang on to my ps2 too. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
If i'm really desperate for a PS2 game, PS2s are dirt cheap. i love my PS3 and its titles. I have NASCAR 08, MotorStorm, and Blazing Angels. I'd love to have warhawk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I'm sticking with my lovely Xbox 360, lovely Wii, lovely PS3, lovely Xbox, lovely PS2, lovely Gamecube, lovely Dreamcast, lovely Saturn, lovely PS1, ugly N64, lovely NeoGeo, lovely Genesis, lovely SNES, lovely TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM, lovely Sega Master System and lovely NES. Gotta have 'em all!

This isnt pokemon!

I bet you dont have enough scart sockets to play them all...
Take a picture too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dreamcast and later are all upstairs hooked to an HDTV via component video with the exception of the PS3 which is HDMI. Plenty o' inputs. The rest are downstairs hooked to an SDTV CRT (which can, of course, do 240p), also via component video (using an RGB to YUV transcoder). Switching SCART cables is pretty easy and I don't have to climb behind my setup. I am too lazy to take pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
okay saw your pictures post on my thread =]

thats pretty insane! you got all the boxes too

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.