Folders - doesn't open on double click

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
When I double click on folders they don't open. Why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
Thanks Jimmy,
I can see how you would get that, but I actually mean that often when I double click on folders they do not open. Its' very frequent and frustrating. I've tried different mice and still no joy.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are there any other situations where the double click does not behave as expected (e.g. double clicking an app icon)? If so, try adjusting the double-click rate in the Mouse preference settings.

OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Slydude,
No apps issues but I set the double-click rate to dead slow and it seems to be better. Maybe that's a hint; time to slow down, not a youngster anymore.:unsure:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I can see how that would be annoying, how is the "health" of the iMac in general? By that I mean; is it slow to launch or open apps, do you get a spinning wheel frequently, does it take a long time to startup from off, ect.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Your profile lists the iMac as a 2015 model running macOS Sierra, is that still the case?

OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good question Rod, I don't notice anything particularly aggregious. It's not correct, I have to update, I am running Monterey 12.6.7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Its' very frequent and frustrating. I've tried different mice and still no joy.

What kind of mice are you using???
Some Wireless Bluetooth mice seem to have a real lag when used with some Macs.

Maybe try doing a mouse-click speed test, there are some online versions:

or

How fast does using the Finder keyboard shortcuts take using: command + O ???

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, that was going to be my next question:D
Assuming everything else is working okay the mouse would be the first suspect. Good if you have a spare to try obviously. If you are using a wireless model comparing with a wired or AF (dongle) type or even just a different mouse of the same type should eliminate/confirm the mouse as the culprit.

OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, I am still a pig at 33 clicks per second or 6.6 clicks/second.
Command + O is fine.
I don't use wireless anything because mice cause my hands to freeze. I have a shelf full of wireless mice. Maybe someday I'll use them again...
I have a cheapo mouse and same issue, but it seems to be better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Command + O is fine.
I don't use wireless anything because mice cause my hands to freeze. I have a shelf full of wireless mice. Maybe someday I'll use them again...
I have a cheapo mouse and same issue, but it seems to be better.

I have absolutely no idea how or why a wireless mouse would cause your hands to freeze but I would certainly question that statement.

What you might want to do is check your double click speed as outlined by an apple web support page:
Change double-click and scroll speed
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Accessibility in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)

Click Pointer Control on the right, then do any of the following:
Adjust how fast you must click for your Mac to recognize a double-click: Drag the slider next to “Double-click speed.”

Give that a try and hopefully things might improve for you.

Do you use or have any third-party Mouse control software installed you might want to double check on or try deleting and rebooting. Maybe its settings are upsetting your other normal Mouse Settings???

Nothing more frustrating than any mouse that doesn't work or control things properly or smoothly IMO or experience.

If you cannot get your mouse settings or click speed to change properly, you may want to try doing PRAM Reset, or whatever newer name it goes by these days.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick for taking the time!

The cold hands is from the BT emf. I happen to be prone to it. In some PPL it is more noticeable, but it interferes with the uptake of oxygen in the cells. Wifi gives me a headache and or puts me to sleep.

I tried your accessibility info and I slowed the mouse double-click speed to slow. Seems to work properly now, although not 100%

I show a Logitech Control centre in the Preferences which shows nothing connected, but when I check the apps it shows the Logitech G- Hub app which I use for my main mouse. It shows firmware up to date. When I get a chance I will delete the s/w and reload.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I show a Logitech Control centre in the Preferences which shows nothing connected, but when I check the apps it shows the Logitech G- Hub app which I use for my main mouse.

If you are actually using a Logitech mouse, or any USB mouse for that matter, I would be inclined to try using only one of the USB ports of your computer or your keyboard if it has such a spare USB port.

I tried your accessibility info and I slowed the mouse double-click speed to slow. Seems to work properly now, although not 100%

Try using various different settings and see if things improve.

Also if you are not using a Logitech mouse I would be inclined to delete the Logitech Control Panel software preference pane or any other associated software just in case there might be any type of conflict.

If you are using a Bluetooth mouse, be prepared that many can often exhibit quite a lag, at least in my and many other's experiences, and because of your condition I would be inclined to avoid them completely. On the other hand, USB wireless mice do not use any BT emf-type radiation and should be very safe for you to use and not produce any reactions.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.