Flash Drive Scam?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ashwin, Linux will run on any architecture, but if the installation on the USB is compiled for Intel, it won't run on Apple Silicon. If the USB has source code, and if it is then compiled for each boot and if it can compile for ARM, then yes, it will run. But I'm betting the binary is for Intel. And won't run on Apple Silicon.
Xtra-PC is likely only targeting Intel based Macs and Windows PCs and to that effort, they've likely only compiled a version of Linux that works with Intel. They could just as easily make it available for Apple Silicon, but those machines are too new to be deemed obsolete.

The other group of machines could be the old PowerPC based Macs or other architectures, but since this is meant to be a consumer level device, most people will readily have access to crappy old Dell laptops. 😃

OP
Jim40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
All my Macs are Intel, so I think I'l buy the 32 GB one.

Thanks for all help, and sorry for putting in wrong forum. However, please remember I'm 81 years old and dying of cancer.

I will write 100 times I MUST NOT POST IN THE WRONG FORUM

Reaction score
@Jim40

In what way do you mean "is it a scam"? There doesn't appear to be any "threat", or suggestion that if you don't buy the products, your Mac would be in serious trouble.

How did this appear - from an email, from a search on the internet, or unsolicited in some way? Were you looking on the internet for ways to speed up your Mac?

I only ask in the name of clarity. No offence intended.
https://yourdetail.com
Ian
OK I did it. I purchased one of those fake 2TB USB Flash Drives on ebay. I ran the test I downloaded from PCNET and it errored out (after hours and hours) of course but I was still curious about the true size. I deleted the partition and created a new 2TB simple volume and Win10 let me do it but I was not yet convinced. So I deleted that partition and created a new 8GB partition. No problem. I created a 2nd 8GB partition. Again No Problem. I created a 3rd 8 GB partition and it errored out upon formatting. So now I believe it is 16GB for sure, since if it was only 8GB I should have errored out on the second 8GB partition. Can I assume I have created a simple quick way to test?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.