Five minutes till we crash

Reaction score
My iBook G4 boots up fine.

5 - 15 minutes later it freezes.

Keyboard and trackpad die and all I can do is switch it off by holding down the power key.

Then, it won't reboot for 'a while', maybe 15 or 20 minutes.

Sounds to me like it is overheating and the fan does seem to be a little erratic.

I ran the quick hardware check on the re-install disk and it finds no errors.

I can't run the full hardware check because it crashes before the process if complete.

When it crashes during the hardware check I get a lot of interference on the screen.

Wise words, anyone?

JWS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
If you come to the conclusion that it is a fan problem you could try manually keeping the fan speed high with smcFanControl

C

chas_m

If the fans area working at all (or not making horrible noises), it's probably not the fans.

Have a look at this page and see what you think. We had this problem with our iBook and quickly found a dozen other local people who had the same issue (and this town isn't big by any means).

OP
T
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I cannot load that page. I'm in China and things are blocked for the strangest reason now...

Could you cut and paste it here, please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.