First shots from new dslr

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I haven't had any problems like that.

I get about 133 images on the 4GB card I have. I think that next week I'm going to purchase 3 8gb Extreme IV cards. With the rebate I'm going to be paying a little over $100 for all three. That way I'll have three UDMA capable cards that'll probably hold about 250+ images and a few smaller ones for emergency situation backups.

The worst part is the last time I had 6gb worth of images it was about 500-600 images. That's going to be about 20gb's if I have to go through that many images. But then again, you can shoot in SRAW 1 & 2 modes and have something like between 4mp and 12mp images. That would be ideal for wedding candid shots I think.

Reaction score
I haven't had any problems like that.

I get about 133 images on the 4GB card I have. I think that next week I'm going to purchase 3 8gb Extreme IV cards. With the rebate I'm going to be paying a little over $100 for all three. That way I'll have three UDMA capable cards that'll probably hold about 250+ images and a few smaller ones for emergency situation backups.

The worst part is the last time I had 6gb worth of images it was about 500-600 images. That's going to be about 20gb's if I have to go through that many images. But then again, you can shoot in SRAW 1 & 2 modes and have something like between 4mp and 12mp images. That would be ideal for wedding candid shots I think.

I've asked around and it seems like it's an isolated case. The body we rented was a rental albeit new. But you can never trust them. But it gave me an idea of what the camera is capable of nonetheless. I think think it's an amazing camera, best bang for the buck as of right now of course. Perhaps a few more weddings I can afford one. For now, the 5D will do just fine. =p

I haven't done much research on the capabilities of sRAW. It is compressed, is it not? Or is it just reducing the megapixel size, like instead of shooting in 21MP it is shooting at a lower MP?

Flash cards are getting cheaper, but I'm still iffy about jumping the gun on larger capacity cards. Especially in excess of 8GB. Imagine shooting 16GB worth of RAW and come home to find out that you got nothing because something happened to the card. So scary!

Post some more pics and videos if you have any! I'd love to see more!

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Using a 16gb cd card with a 5D MKII is like using a 4gb card with a 30D. The 5D files are almost four times larger. My closest estimate is 532 images on a 16gb card with a 5D MKII. I'm getting about 450 with my 30D on the currect 4gb card I'm using. So it's not that you're losing any more in the way of number of images than if you're using something like an 8mp camera with a smaller card.

Just wait until the 1Ds IV drops. Rumors have estimated 40mp. You'll have to shoot with a 32gb card just to record more than 150 images. Look at the Hasselblad HD40. What's the file size on that?

Reaction score
Using a 16gb cd card with a 5D MKII is like using a 4gb card with a 30D. The 5D files are almost four times larger. My closest estimate is 532 images on a 16gb card with a 5D MKII. I'm getting about 450 with my 30D on the currect 4gb card I'm using. So it's not that you're losing any more in the way of number of images than if you're using something like an 8mp camera with a smaller card.

Just wait until the 1Ds IV drops. Rumors have estimated 40mp. You'll have to shoot with a 32gb card just to record more than 150 images. Look at the Hasselblad HD40. What's the file size on that?

Point taken. It's ridiculous with the megapixel war. I guess I just have an improbable fear based off of earlier CF cards in higher capacities. Like being scared of evil spirits or something. LoL I've heard stories with higher capacity cards failing and it just embedded in my mind. I think it's more because of ignorance of how much CF cards have developed.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Point taken. It's ridiculous with the megapixel war. I guess I just have an improbable fear based off of earlier CF cards in higher capacities. Like being scared of evil spirits or something. LoL I've heard stories with higher capacity cards failing and it just embedded in my mind. I think it's more because of ignorance of how much CF cards have developed.

But it's great. I can resize a 21mp file shot at ISO 6400 to 8mp so I can print an 8x10 and have and image that's sharp and virtually noise free after some minor touch ups in post.

It's so rediculous how perfect a smaller image has to be when printing bigger than 16x24 if you don't want a soft image.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.