First Post - My Passion, Photography

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Mea culpa, TattoedMac - yes, I do think of 'completely altering the digital image' when I refer to photoshopping and I'd be happier if photographers owned up when they did this. In a similar vein, cosmetic companies advertising in the UK have been banned from using images which do not admit they been digitally enhanced (eg mascara ads which show lashes impossible to create with the product alone; wrinkles airbrushed to oblivion for anti-ageing creams).

Nobody shoots straight out of the camera without editing and remains competitive in competitions or professional photography. There are only two types of decent photographer out there, those that use Photoshop(or similar editor) and those that lie about it.

I beg to differ: www.billtaylor.ca/
who recently contributed to a Photosensitive project. Photosensitive: The Energy Project

OK, he's a long term friend - but he doesn't lie.

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
Again, this subject has been beaten to death and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've been a Photoshop user since Version 4.0 yet strive to edit so that nobody can tell it's been "Photoshopped". Ideally, in a perfect world, we can get it right in the camera. I try to apply my 42 years of photographic skills to attain the perfect shot in camera but alas, it's not always possible. The law frowns on people pulling up roadside poles and markers to better a picture. Therefore, I still remove such annoyances in post processing. LOL Thanks for your comments. I find it interesting that this all came to pass on a "Howdy" first post. :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
The constant harping about Photoshop gets to be a boring topic. The famous Ansel Adams used to carry glass plates that contained perfect cloudy skies when he didn't have a decent one in the shot of the moment. I did my own darkroom work for years, cropping, burning, dodging and changing the look and feel of the original shot. Nobody shoots straight out of the camera without editing and remains competitive in competitions or professional photography. There are only two types of decent photographer out there, those that use Photoshop(or similar editor) and those that lie about it. IMHO :Cool:

Flower-13-L.jpg

Gorgeous....again....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The constant harping about Photoshop gets to be a boring topic. The famous Ansel Adams used to carry glass plates that contained perfect cloudy skies when he didn't have a decent one in the shot of the moment. I did my own darkroom work for years, cropping, burning, dodging and changing the look and feel of the original shot. Nobody shoots straight out of the camera without editing and remains competitive in competitions or professional photography. There are only two types of decent photographer out there, those that use Photoshop(or similar editor) and those that lie about it. IMHO :Cool:

Flower-13-L.jpg

Ansel would have used Photoshop like crazy. His prints are all, each and every one of them, a monument to controlling exposure. Both on the negative, in development, and in on the final print. Period.

Perfect proof of that is Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941. Some of his students (including one of my profs) went on to use it (photoshop) heavily btw ;)

Even Ulesmann, who absolutely MASTERED the wet darkroom, post-visualization wise, uses Ps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.