First Impressions of MacBook Air

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I didn't realise that the MB had this feature. I want to try it out but unfortunately I'm sat in an office with nothing but this fine forum and my iPhone to keep me company.

I've had mine for a year and not noticed it - is it something you have to enable or do you know if it's only on the newer ones?

That's because the MB doesn't have the feature.

I think the dimming is there even in Powerbook G4s... just check out System prefs -> Display and look for a checkbox

Nope.

OP
Y
Reaction score
My bad... so it's a pro thing... sorry for misinforming.

As for the gallery, that thing astonished me how easy it was! Since I now have two Macs, I decided to get .mac and this is done from within iPhoto using the Web Gallery feature...

It was literally two mouseclicks! I'm gonna be using this a lot more ...

So far the MBA's been a charm, I've had a few performance issues with video (HD stuff runs quite choppy) - so no HD podcasts for me.

Other than that, it's been working and singing so well that I hardly notice having to battle a new computer anymore.

I still marvel at how darn thin this thing is and I can't wait to stride into the lecture hall and pull it out of... a manila envelope or so.

I have to note thought that it still gets filthy if you touch it with sweaty hands, by leaving white marks on the silver. This then dries up quickly in the heat of the notebook and can only be wiped with a damp kitchen cloth. When dried after that, it looks as good as new though.

And it's very scratch resistant (I tried some mild scratching on the underside... I know, I'm a bad person).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am wondering why it's choppy with HD? My 1.66Ghz Core Duo Mini is dead smooth with any 1080p HD that I have played on it.

Great pics Yogi and thanks!

OP
Y
Reaction score
choppy HD has been a problem even on my iMac. I assumed I just didn't have enough RAM to hold all the video or a too weak graphics card to process it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hey Yogi, perhaps you should update the "Mac Specs" part of your avatar area to include the MBA!

OP
Y
Reaction score
Yeah, it's in there now.

Further impressions: It's a pleasure to flip around a PDF as a slideshow in a space. This makes the MB Air a dream machine for following lectures at uni, and panning around the index sheet of slides is awesome as well.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Oh one more thing.

I looked at my screen after switching it off and thought the screen had some damage in it, the center was unusually white (as if someone hat caused some abrasion to it).

It took a moment for me to realize that that whit patch was the Apple logo shining through the super-thin screen because of my desk lamp that was shining on it from behind. Just an interesting find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Choppy HD might be due to the slow hard drive. Although, I don't see why 720p shouldn't work.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Anand's review is great, I just read it before you posted it here, dtravis :)

It's indeed favourable, but I think there's really nothing "bad" about this machine per se. It pretty much boils down to a set of bold decisions by Apple to do certain things that left a lot of people wondering who this laptop is for.

I think Apple is targeting a very specific niche here that still isn't too small to dedicate an entire product too. Very clever IMO.

Women, Students, Bloggers and anyone needing a second or even third Mac will seriously consider this option.

Because if we think about it, "normal folks" (like my parents) use a computer for Email, Web surfing, and MS Office. NOTHING MORE! The biggest hoo-haa about how horribly useless the MBAir is comes from supergeeks who are precisely NOT the target market for the MBAir. Designers, coders and creative professionals probably won't consider it. But those people are online, in forums, on blogs, commenting, reviewing.

To normal John, this is just as cool as the iPhone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.