Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I have used firefox on PC and now that I have switched would like to use it on MAC. It downlaods as a exe file but I cannot open it. What am I missing?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Your downloading the PC version, you need the MAC version.

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh...stoopid me. Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
It takes a while to get used to looking for the OSX version of APPs. No problem.

Reaction score
Actually the Firefox website only offered me the Mac version, I'm finding lots of Linux/Open Source projects are good at detecting the OS and offering up the right version. Open Office did the same. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Actually the Firefox website only offered me the Mac version, I'm finding lots of Linux/Open Source projects are good at detecting the OS and offering up the right version. Open Office did the same. :)

Yeah same
It also worries me that they can see all about your computer though
on this forum somebody's signature knew my OS browser and internet provider

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The one I saw had Xp and OSX written under it so I assumed (and we all know that its unsafe to assume) that I would get the correct version for OSX

Thank...I have it and it now works.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You should check out the optimized versions of Firefox available at www.beatnikpad.com. The owner of this site has recompiled the stock open source Firefox code, creating specifically optimized versions for G4 and G5 PPC Macs, and a similar version for Intel Macs. The resulting programs, which cannot be called Firefox, are called BonEcho, and work noticeably faster than Firefox itself.

See www.beatnikpad.com

I run BonEcho daily and love it. BTW, lest anyone wonder, I am not the author of the site - just a satisfied customer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
You should check out the optimized versions of Firefox available at www.beatnikpad.com. The owner of this site has recompiled the stock open source Firefox code, creating specifically optimized versions for G4 and G5 PPC Macs, and a similar version for Intel Macs. The resulting programs, which cannot be called Firefox, are called BonEcho, and work noticeably faster than Firefox itself.

See www.beatnikpad.com

I run BonEcho daily and love it. BTW, lest anyone wonder, I am not the author of the site - just a satisfied customer!
Sounds interesting.

Can you use regular firefox extensions with this product?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yes, it is Firefox in every respect - it is the Firefox code, recompile with specific optimizations enabled for the type of machine it is targetted at. It *is* Firefox in all things except its name - the web site can't re-use the Firefox name - clearly that name is owned by Mozilla!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Yeah same

I don't think that it is a really big deal. You report your IP and ISP simply by making a connection to the web server and your browser reports things like Browser, OS, referring page, screen resolution, color depth, number of pages visited, and installed plugins/options. All of that is just there to make the browsing experience a little more tailored to the individual user, an example being firefox.com sending you immediately to the Mac version installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

See www.beatnikpad.com

Thanks will check that out. I had done some optimizing myself simply following directions from MACWORLD magazine some time ago, however that was a couple versions ago and they most likely did not carry over through...that was much easier.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah same

That kind of information is readily available from your browser regardless of what OS you're running (and always has been since the dawn of the Web). You can tweak it to some extent to fool certain websites that might cater to IE, but keep in mind that your presence on the Internet is a two-way street (in other words, when you connect to the Internet, it also connects to you).

This is one of the reasons that running a firewall is important. Also, if you're running a router of some sort, the IP address people display is your public IP address (the IP of your modem, not your PC). Since ranges of publc IPs are assigned to ISPs and that information is a matter of public record, it's easy for some web toy to determine your ISP and sometimes even your general location (i.e. the UK).

So, in short, this is nothing to worry about and is certainly not because your computer is lacking in security features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Here are a couple of sites that tell you what your browser tells them.

wow, thats kind of scary
I never knew how unsecure the internet was.
I just thought it was p2p apps that opened you up to attack.
How wrong was I

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.