Firefox opens up new Firefox when I click on a new site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2014,iMac 27" Retina Display,iPad Retina Display, iPhone 11
When I'm in Firefox and click on a subject on a page a whole new Firefox page pops up with the subject I clicked on. I had to of done something in my settings, but I can't figure it out. Any help for a Dope would be appreciated.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Did you update the Firefox app or something? That can change preferences to default or the defaults may even be different.
Anyway, go to Firefox Preferences from the tool bar, click the General Tab if its not ther already and Tick "Open links In tabs instead of new windows" that should fix it.
You might also like to Tick, "When you open a link in a new tab switch to it immediately"

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you update the Firefox app or something? That can change preferences to default or the defaults may even be different.
Anyway, go to Firefox Preferences from the tool bar, click the General Tab if its not ther already and Tick "Open links In tabs instead of new windows" that should fix it.
You might also like to Tick, "When you open a link in a new tab switch to it immediately"
That seems to have done the trick. Thank You so much for your help.

All the Best
Brian Padraig O'Connor

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That seems to have done the trick. Thank You so much for your help.

All the Best
Brian Padraig O'Connor
Well, I was wrong. It didn't work. I don't think I explained it correctly since I thought it was one thing instead of another. When I put a subject in the search box, that's when it opens another Firefox window. I followed you directions and that did not correct it. Any ideas?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you enter anything into the URL bar, ensure that you hit just return and nothing else. Most browsers will open a new window if you hold down the SHIFT key at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you look in Firefox Preferences?

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 2.12.14 PM.png

Make sure "Open links in tabs instead of new windows" is checked.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm a bit puzzled now. I cannot reproduce your issue on my MBP. Which version of Firefox are you running? I have 86.0.1 (64-bit).
Could you describe, step by step exactly what you do to get that issue, step by step from launching Firefox anew to where you get the extra page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.