Finding files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMac 27” desktop – Intel Core i5 (3.8GHz) – 8 GB memory – 2 TB Fusion hard drive
As a longtime Windows user I am still learning to use a MAC desktop, I am having difficulty in understanding and using file management so that I can quickly find and access files I have saved. I am looking for a tutorial on managing files in directories in a logical manner. Are there tutorials on this subject?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First, welcome to Mac-Forums and the world of Macs. Second, it's Mac and not MAC. :)

macOS/OS X (the operating system) doesn't impose a lot of restrictions on how you manage your files/directories. There are a couple of folders that are created for you to start with, but you can manage your files in any way you want.

Your Home folder will have Documents, Pictures and Downloads beside a couple of others. Most people use the Downloads folder as the place where you browser will download files and then those files get moved elsewhere, so the Downloads folder is just a temp holding area for files. Documents is your generic location for all of your stuff and Pictures is a way of keeping hour pictures together. Understand that this difference is just in the name, the Documents and Pictures folders don't have any special powers, it's just a folder that could be called anything else.

As far as finding files go, you have a couple of options. You can use Spotlight (CMD+space) and start entering whatever part of the filename you remember and you will see a list of what matches. This search isn't limited to your computer only but also websites, and other sources. If you just want to focus on searching files on your computer, then open up Finder (the first icon on your Dock with the smiley face) and you'll see a Search box on the top right. If you select no specific folder on the left sidebar and start searching, you will get options like "This Mac, Recent, Shared". The highlighted one is where Finder is searching. If you think a file is in the Downloads or Documents folder, for example, click on it and then search and now Recent will be replaced with the folder you selected and you can limit your search to that.

You might find Spotlight to be quite powerful in finding your files. Beyond that, just imposing a good organization structure to your files will make it easy for you to find files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In addition to Ashwin's excellent suggestion, Apple provides online tutorials that show you how to do things with the Mac.

Here is a link to file management, with other links to other tutorials.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/finder-mchlp2605/mac

And welcome to the Mac world. The transition from Windows isn't steep, but the best suggestion I got 10 years ago was to do things the Mac way and not to try to force the Windows habits on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hello mspringer and a very warm welcome indeed. There are a number of very knowledgeable people on Mac forums so you are in the right place here. I still think of myself as a newbie even though I have had a Mac for a number of years, (not very many though) and have received help and assistance on a great number of occasions. Even at this early stage I feel Mac is far better than Windows, just give Mac and yourself time you will get there. I would NOT go back to Windows! If you are in trouble this is the place to be believe me. ENJOY your Mac.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
First Ashwin with a great synopsis and the Jake with an excellent link.

Couple of tips - nothing serious or difficult but worth a thought.

1. When creating/naming a File, give it a Tag. The Tag option is always shown underneath the name. You can create as many Tags as you like for an individual File. Do this at the time of creation. They certainly can be added later, but best to get into the habit of doing it as you go along.

To find a File with a Tag, open Finder (Smiley face bottom let in Dock), look to your left, Tags is at the bottom. Click on "Show all Tags" (they arranged alphabetically), find the one(s) you want and Click on each. That brings up everything with that Tag.

2. When using Spotlight as Ashwin discussed, in the Search Field, you can search for a File type, eg, .jpg (for photos in JPEG) or type kind:audio for music & the like.

For a fuller explanation of Spotlight: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204014

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ian, great idea on the tags. As you enter tags, does it show previously entered ones as you type so that you aren't creating too many duplicated (and related) tags with different spelling/case/plural and so on?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As you enter tags, does it show previously entered ones as you type so that you aren't creating too many duplicated (and related) tags with different spelling/case/plural and so on?

Yes.

Once you create a Tag, every time you start to type in the Tag box/little window, it brings up previous Tags that start with the same letters.

For example, say you had the following Tags: Holiday - Hope - Horizon; as soon as you type (these are not case sensitive) **, it will show you all three and you click on the one you want. That's a made up example, but no, you cannot duplicate a Tag.

After a while, it's amazing how you forget exactly what Tags you have and as you start what you think is a new one, the first couple of letters reminds you that you have that Tag already.

I use this all the time. It's easier, often, to locate something if you go into Finder > All Tags and choose the one that best suits your search.

Although you can create as many Tags as you wish for an individual File, you can only search one Tag at a time.

I hope the day comes when you can Search multiple Tags - say - Holiday AND Europe AND Paris AND 2017. Again, not the best example, but you get the general idea.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.