finding files/logs

Reaction score
I have avast premium security on my iMac because of a fault I had to uninstall it however not all of the software was removed and now when I try to install again I get a message telling me I need to uninstall avast, I have run a program called easy find which found some parts of avast still lingering on my HD usually highlighting the said items and clicking on delete would remove them but for some reason, not these. I have tried to find these bits of avast with no luck any advice would be most welcome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Our advice to you is not reinstall Avast. It's not needed as there are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac. You can however if you wish install an anti malware program suited for use on a Mac.

We recommend DetectX Swift instead.

As for removing the bits and pieces left over by Avast, EasyFind should be able to spot them and remove them for you. You also can go to the Avast web site and see what they say about removing the program. Avast is a resource hog and will interfere with your every day computing. It's known to be one of the worst AV programs.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I fully agree with chscag's opinion of Avast, its not necessary, is definitely a resource hog, constantly looking for stuff that doesn't exist.
I"m puzzled why EasyFind cannot delete the remaining files. I use EasyFind for app removal because as the name implies it's easy, just drag an drop and it usually works perfectly. I'm also a fan of Find Any File 2 which is a little more complex to use but works in much the same way. I notice EasyFind in current macOS does not require System Access like FAF2 which requires Full Disk Access in Security and Privacy settings.
You might like to try it, it's available for free download from here; http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php
It works in much the same way as the Finder, you type in a word or file type in the search box and it finds all instances. From the results window you can Delete Immediately or Move To Trash. If you move to trash you get the option to put the file back if you make an error. FAF2 is also able to display "invisible" files hidden in the system.
*As always care should be taken and it's advisable to perform a backup before mucking around with files at a system level.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.