Finder not showing flash drive

Reaction score
Always before my Macbook Pro (Mavericks) would show the flash drive on the left sidebar of Finder. I don't know why changed. I left the laptop playing songs on youtube, went out for a couple hours and got back and now Finder doesn't show that. But the flash drive shows on the desktop and is accessible. any ideas?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Finder - Preferences - Sidebar tab

OP
J
Reaction score
that isn't the solution. look at this screenshot of Finder and its preferences,
finder.png

OP
J
Reaction score
fiddling around with it I finally noticed that on the Finder, just to the right of "Devices" it says "Show" and I clicked on that and then the flash drive was visible. But if you'll look at the screenshot above there is no "Show" to the right of "Devices". wierd

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The hide and show option on the sidebar is an option for sidebar display only, the preferences for the finder decide what can be shown. Hiding it on the sidebar doesn't mean it's not there, just hidden. It is an odd one though, I cant imagine a circumstance where I would want to hide the devices display. Maybe someone else can explain it.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
fiddling around with it I finally noticed that on the Finder, just to the right of "Devices" it says "Show" and I clicked on that and then the flash drive was visible. But if you'll look at the screenshot above there is no "Show" to the right of "Devices". wierd

That "Show" (and/or even "Hide") thing is one of Apple's absolutely stupid Cheshire cat appear/disappear things that only works if you happen to mouse over and pause a bit.

I think it's one of Jony Ive's stupid "clean/plain" look things. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.