Finder in Yosemite at times not showing files in folders

Reaction score
I just installed Yosemite and for some reason, while I'm in the Finder and try to open a folder (in list view) to see its contents, the folder appears as empty. But when I open the folder, it then shows the contents. What could this bug be? Any idea how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
Hummm

I'm not sure I'm seeing this issue.

Is the little triangle's point down?

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah, it started out pointing right, I click it so it points down, and nothing. But double-clicking the folder opens a new window and shows the contents.

M

MacInWin

Big folder? Lots of files in it? Finder can take a bit to display big folders, especially in any view that requires it to build icons.

OP
E
Reaction score
The first time it happened on a folder that had 12 files in it (about 100MB total). The second time I noticed it was a folder with a single 50MB file.

L

leework

files not visible in Finder

Just wondering - did you ever figure out how to resolve this? I'm having the same trouble. I can see a folder in Finder, I click and the arrow points down, but no files in the folder appear. Even when I double-click on the folder, no files appear. The folder size tells me that all of the files are still there, though.

Same thing happens with apps. When I click on Utilities, for example, the folder looks empty, so I can't go into Terminal.

This started happening after I installed Yosemite.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Same issue

Hi, I have the same issue. Installed Yosemite two times completely clean, still sometimes finder doesn't show files. After restart it works for a little while, it is very annoying.:Shouting:
I had no problems like this with Mavericks. And I use the same applications as on Mavericks.
Has somebody a fix for this problem?

Thanks a lot.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I don't want to muddy the waters by suggesting actions which don't solve your problem; but may I just ask you to try something?

In List View in Finder, hold down the alt/option key and keep holding it, then click on the exposure triangle. This should open up all folders within folders and files within folders—in effect display the entire nesting structure of that folder. This only works in List View.

Ian

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

You know, I stopped looking for a fix. Yosemite is having a lot of bugs. I can't work, Yosemite gives me too much problems. I went back to Mavericks today.

Reaction score
same issue

Same issue for me, big time, even when there are only a few files in a folder (not specific to a given folder either but is a very general, systemic issue). Crazy annoying.

I've been on Yosemite since it came out (many months) and this just started happening to me a couple days ago. I'm on the most recent, 10.10.3.

Last edited:
Reaction score
a fix?

As far as I can tell, clearing the cloudd metadata worked for me. I used:

cp ~/Library/Caches/CloudKit/CloudKitMetadata* ~/Desktop/cloudd; rm ~/Library/Caches/CloudKit/CloudKitMetadata*; killall cloudd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11" early 2015, 1.6 GHZ, 8GB; 85/250GB ; iPad Mini, iPhone SE. Mac User since 1984!
I am having the same issue. It only started a few days ago. Today was the second time. Restarting my computer fixes it. But that is just annoying. I've also found some programs sluggish recently and I have 8 gig RAM and the activity monitor says it is not all being used. How can a bug just begin like that? The only softwear update I have made was to MS Word.

Reaction score
Just updated to Yosemite and I'm having the same issue. Spoke to Apple on the phone and after an hour I was told "It sounds like a failing hard drive." Just doesn't seem right. Everything working fine until I updated.

Finder is not showing any files under
• Applications
• Documents
• Downloads
• Hard Drive
etc.

I can launch the applications that were saved to the dock. I can also see all the documents and downloads in my dock.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What have you tried to fix it? No sense suggesting things that didn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
hi there! umm.. i am new to this site. i just wanted to ask how to find yosemite while the file is showing in folders.

thanks!

You might want to start a new thread with an appropriately specific topic name to give you a better chance of getting an answer. You should also try to describe very specifically what you mean by "find Yosemite". I would attempt to answer here, but I don't understand the (implied) question.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.