Filevault Problem On El Capitan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
There are issues with FV and I've been a victim. Closed down 2-week-old MBP to travel to photo workshop, restarted but wouldn't boot. Took straight to Apple Store where they identified a bug with FV, did factory reset and I restored my data from my back up. They said not to use it. I'd foolishly switched it on when prompted, thinking it had to to be good thing.

The issue didn't start with El Capitan and if you google 'filevault problems' instead you get loads of hits.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My question, as always, is why do you feel that you need to use file vault in the first place?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question, as always, is why do you feel that you need to use file vault in the first place?

Some folks want to make sure their data is safe in case their MacBook or MacBook Pro is lost or stolen. Personally, I would rather set in a firmware password if I had a portable Mac as that provides more protection in the case of a lost or stolen machine.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I could not agree more chscag, we have talked about this subject of need extensively on this forum in the past. Apart from my previously mentioned use of an encrypted folder there are plenty of third party apps out there like Mac Paw Hider which I got in a package deal and use for a few files. That doesn't detract from the fact that File Vault should work reddogco. Especially since you have to actively choose not to use it in the initial user set up. Apple really need to address this issue and fast. Having said all that it seems to me unlikely that your portable device would be stolen for the express purpose of gaining access to your personal data. I would think that in most cases it would be to resell so erasing it would probably be the first step towards that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I could not agree more chscag, … … … Apple really need to address this issue and fast. Having said all that it seems to me unlikely that your portable device would be stolen for the express purpose of gaining access to your personal data. I would think that in most cases it would be to resell so erasing it would probably be the first step towards that.

I must say I have to agree 100% for the average user.

And for those who really do need to protect any or all data on their Mac, I'm sure they're using some "bullet proof" method. But probably not too many would be after that data.

Reaction score

I travel a lot on business and my MB holds a lot of confidential data. So the risk of the machine being stolen is real.
With FV enabled at least my data will not be stored in clear text on the SSD drive a perpetrator who could not crack the login will not be able to remove the SSD and get at the data that way. It is just another layer of security.

M

MacInWin

I travel a lot on business and my MB holds a lot of confidential data. So the risk of the machine being stolen is real.
With FV enabled at least my data will not be stored in clear text on the SSD drive a perpetrator who could not crack the login will not be able to remove the SSD and get at the data that way. It is just another layer of security.
You could accomplish the same goal with encrypted .dmg files and not use FV at all. But it's a choice you need to make, knowing the risks and challenges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You could accomplish the same goal with encrypted .dmg files and not use FV at all. But it's a choice you need to make, knowing the risks and challenges.

I'd have to say one could, but I'd also say a real PITA if one needs to access then encrypt such files very often.

And even if FV is used, I'd want to have some method readily available to kill any access to the portable Mac in case of any grab and run, 'cause everything is available while the user is "logged in" is it not…???

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the encrypted .dmg method you are only dealing with a folder that requires a password to open. When it is closed it is inaccessible. It takes only seconds to do this.
We have seen so many instances of complications, sometimes irreversible caused by system wide encryption. I am just saying I would rather use any other method as an alternative to the obvious risks and complications associated with FV. Obviously this should not be the case. However you only need to do a search on this site for encryption and you will see that it has caused more problems than should be expected for an option that Apple actively promotes.

M

MacInWin

About all it takes is to click and enter the password. That's not much of a PITA if security is so important.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.