Files and Folder cannot be moved on the Desktop

Reaction score
I have Mac OS X Catalina (10.15.7) on a Mac Mini (late 2014).
Any file or folder, when placed on the computer desktop, automatically positions itself on the top right corner of the computer screen.

I am currently not able to physically move these files or folders to any other position on the computer screen with the computer mouse.
The files and folders seem to be locked in their upper right corner position.

The documents can be opened or moved elsewhere on the computer, such as in another folder, or off of the computer desktop completely.
This applies to generic Mac folders, as well as the following file extensions: .jpg, .tif, .mp3, .wav, .mp4, .docx, .xlsx (basically any file extension).

In System Preferences > Users & Groups I am logged in as the Administrator.
When I open any of the above noted files or folders in Get Info > Sharing & Permissions, I am listed as the Administrator with a Read & Write Priviledge.

Thanks for any tips on how I can move files and folders in different locations within the computer desktop.
I was able to do this yesterday, and I cannot identify any changes made to the computer settings since then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Right click on the Desktop, somewhere away from any icon. Change the "sort by" option to None. Now you can put icons anywhere.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, in my case when I unchecked "Use Stacks" that fixed the problem.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sorting by Snap to Grid also allows you to place icons anywhere you want, and it has the added benefit of making orderliness, well, a snap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.