File transfer error deletes whats already copied.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have always been bugged about this. Say I am copying a folder from a drive that is going bad. There is 20GB and it gets 3/4 of the way thru and there is a problem. I hit okay, and then it removes everything it's already copied. Is there a way to stop that from happening so I can atleast keep what I have already got? Thanks!

Reaction score
Is this one 20gig file or just 20 gigs in general?
If the second then yes, you can.

Reaction score
You can do this in Terminal.
Say you have a folder full of files. You can use the cp command.
You have to know exactly where the folder is and exactly where the drive is you're copying to.
For example: In your Home folder is a folder named stuff you need to copy. It's going to a drive named newdrive.
You would open Terminal and type:
cp -R stuff /Volumes/newdrive/stuff
The -R switch tells cp not to stop if there is an error like Finder does. It also makes cp copy everything in that folder, and subfolders, etc.
If this is a little over your head you might want to get local help from someone knowledgeable in Terminal and/or linux.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you but what I meant was, is there a way to set Finder to not erase everything it copied should it be stopped by an error for all processes. This computer is for a customer, so I won't be there to get around it for them. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.