File Sharing 10.3.4 with 8.6

M

marinadeking

We have an old Power Mac 8100 with OS 8.6. We use it to run RIP software to an imagesetter. I can't get my computers to communicate at all, even with dongles, so I thought I'd try File Sharing. I can't seem to get that to work either. Mine is a G4. Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Can your Power Mac 8100 recognize SAMBA share?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Samba is only used to connect a Mac to a PC, witeshark. It would not be used in this situation.

As for your networking issue, I assume you're using ethernet? You need to set each machine either for DHCP or give them static IP addresses (DHCP is easier), and then try pinging one machine, from the other. If that works, try to get filesharing working. If you can't ping, you've got a connection issue.

You said you tried "dongles" but you'll need to be a bit more specific. Were you using ethernet? Were you going through a hub, or using a crossover cable directly?

We need more information to be of any help.

OP
M

marinadeking

Thank you. We're using a crossover cable directly. I certainly would prefer communicating that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, first make sure it's a crossover and not a patch cable. You can tell by checking the colors of the wires inside the cable on each end. If they match perfectly, then you've got a patch cable, if they don't match, you've got the correct crossover cable.

Next, set each machine for DHCP (after you've plugged the cable into both). From there, each machine will give you an IP address. Try to ping one machine, from the other, either via its name or address. If that works, turn on filesharing and it should be set. If the ping doesn't work, then either your cable isn't the correct one, or you've got another problem all together.

OP
M

marinadeking

The colors don't match, so this must be the right cable. The 8100 is not online. The G4 is online via Airport. The 8100 is (in TCP/IP) connected via Ethernet, configured using DHCP server. It asks for a Client ID (#). I have no idea what to put there.

The G4 (in Network) offers me 3 options; Airport, Built-in Ethernet, and Internal modem. When I go to Built-in Ethernet and click configure, I see Configure IPv4: Using DHCP (AppleTalk is active.)

Can I ping from original OS software or do I need to download software?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay first of all, a computer can only use one connection port at a time. So you have to turn off the Airport on your G4 before this will ever work. Once you do that, about 7 seconds later both machines should negotiate internal IP addresses, and you should be able to fileshare. Also, Appletalk should work fine.

As for pinging, use OS X's "Network Utility" or open a terminal and type "ping <ip address>".

OP
M

marinadeking

Thank you, Osiris22x. I didn't get to it 'til now, but your information did the trick! Also, both computers shared the same name, which I was unaware of (this is a work environment.) Once I changed the name of the G4, the Power Mac recognized the new name and I was able to spool over to the RIP software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.