File maker? I need answers

O

officehelper

I have no formal training in Filemaker, just learning by reading and trial and error. I have several questions but don't know where to ask them.

I need to know

1. is it possible to set up our client database to link into our letters and agreements (in word) we send (this will aid in speed when preparing standard agreements envelopes, ect)

2. Also is it possible to create another databse that will link into specific clients accounts with all their acct info (ie employees they hired due datea and outstanding $ that will be linked into a main database that will help us keep track of outstandings and paids)

3. I'm also looking for a program that will allow me to send and receive faxes on the computer. that will also be accessed through client and applicant databases.

hope you can help

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can do 1 and 2 with filemaker. If you are looking at the manual. Look up relational databases. That should help you there. I don't know about item 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
OP
R

Ryanstech

Filemaker can do just about anything you need it to. Like rman said 1 and 2 will be easy. As for 3 Filemaker can't fax itself but it is very useful for making the lists and merged documents for blastfaxes. I do it 40 times a day :)

As for the best way to learn... I learned on FileMaker 4.0 the basics just by reading the included book and playing around. Recently I had to brush up on FileMaker 6 and the book that comes with it is actually really good. If you need more help check this out: http://www.fmpro.org/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.