File in Icloud drive takes place in my SSD

Reaction score
Hi,
I have read 3 articles about that an no one was able to explain how the system works.
No journalist have any idea how this system works.

I have a made file (100gb) called Pictures (Manual save) that is made for storage purpose only on icloud drive.
Why does it take 100gb on my SSD even when the files are not physically there? This file is not suppose to have anything to do with my machine...
On my SSD it is under mobile documents icloud drive...
There should not be any connexion between that file on the cloud and my SSD.

I am under the extremely heavy impression that it is just made to take space on my SSD...

My question.
1.Can icloud drive be use for file storage without taking place on my SSD? So like a real storage? If yes how?
2. Why it takes space on my Macbook and not my iphone or ipad?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum. You are syncing the iCloud Drive with your Mac, so anything you put on the iCloud Drive will sync to the Mac. That's how it works. If you don't want that to happen, go to system preferences, find your iCloud account (you didn't say what version of the macOS you are running so I cannot give exact instructions as it varies) then change the setting to not sync iCloud drive. Once that is done, you can then delete what is in iCloud Drive on your Mac and it won't sync.

OP
A
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You are syncing the iCloud Drive with your Mac, so anything you put on the iCloud Drive will sync to the Mac. That's how it works. If you don't want that to happen, go to system preferences, find your iCloud account (you didn't say what version of the macOS you are running so I cannot give exact instructions as it varies) then change the setting to not sync iCloud drive. Once that is done, you can then delete what is in iCloud Drive on your Mac and it won't sync.

Thank for your answer.

1.So why it doesn't take all this space on my Iphone or Ipad as well? Why only my macbook?

2.So I can choose not to sync an app but not a file? Is that right?

3.So it is a pure scam right? It takes fake place on my SSD when it is only on Icloud. And when I erase the file on Icloud I get back my SSD space. So it is a pure scam... 100%

4.So having a 2Tb Icloud drive is useless with a 1TB macbook am I right? Except if you do not want to sync (Use it) :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
1. There is no iCloud Drive for iOS, so no sync to iPhone, iPad. You can access the iCloud drive from the iPhone and iPad, but there isn't a sync process. On the iOS devices, use the File app to access the iCloud drive.

2. I don't understand your question. You can sync anything you want. Put it in the iCloud drive folder, set iCloud drive up to sync and it will sync. Take it out, it disappears from both. Just as advertised.

3. Nope, no scam at all. The fact you don't understand it does not make it wrong. It's working just as advertised. If you don't want duplicates on the Mac, don't sync. Then only what you send to iCloud online will be on the iCloud drive. You get to the iCloud drive with a browser, if you don't sync from the Mac.

4. Nope again. You can store a ton of stuff in the iCloud online (up to 2 Tb in your case). And then with sync OFF, none of that is on your Mac. Again, it's your option. No scam. Again, your misunderstanding doesn't make it a scam. It works as advertised, and is working for you as advertised.

Do some reading:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.